As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Prophet 64 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Prophet 64
Prophet 64 18 Years, 3 Months ago
www.prophet64.com

Anybody used these programmes before?

The new cartridge looks great, some blogs are saying it's gonna wipe the floor with the Sidstation.

It looks like for the price of a cheap cartridge, a second-hand C64 and midi-sync24 box you can have a Sidstation.

Too good to be true folks?

D
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re: Prophet 64 18 Years, 3 Months ago
Sorry that was me.
Hammer Bro
Looks cool, but there are a number of issues with it...first of all, getting and maintaining a working C64, monitor, floppy drive, and floppy disk might not be as easy as it seems, plus would take up a lot of space. Although, using a sid with a step-sequencer interface looks amazing.

This would be a fun Sid solution, but there are others out there too besides the sidstation. I'm really excited about my recently-built midibox sid, a little DIY microcontroller/SID combo that can be edited from the PC or from the built-in control surface. It's cheap as hell and can actually sound *better* than the sidstation due to improved power supply specs and some interesting OS options. I think a 303-style sequencer is in the works for it, as well.

I gotta give out major geek points for this, though...new C64 software in 2006? I love it... 8-)
Killer Beez
in the C64 the SID sits on a really noisey data bus. Its not going to be quiet - the SID itself is noisey as hell.

its a cool idea to have this software - however, the Sidstation and midibox SID are way more portable and professional because they are self contained. In order to have prophet 64 up and running you need a ton of space set aside just for that. I can fit my midibox SID in my jacket pocket...

to say its going to "wipe the floor" with the sidstation is a little ambitious.
Goomba
You can test it with a C64 emulator like CCS64

http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64/
"I think a 303-style sequencer is in the works for it, as well."

?! Is that true? I think I can't escape from DIY this time...
Hammer Bro
regarding the 303 sequencer for the sid, I hope I didn't get your hopes up too much, as it seems like it's quite a ways off....look here for starters:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5680.0

Even so, I'd still highly recommend this project!
Boo
regarding 303 sequencers...
I ve patched a pretty exact copy of the original 303 seq for the clavia G2...
This is of cause only economical usefull for people that allready own a G2..
You find the patch on electro-music.com under the name G203 performance
Goomba
Get your point about it being very space hungry... I guess that even with the Prophet software being on on a cartridge, you'd have to save the sequences to floppy.

Does anybody know if you can somehow use the C64 with a monitor or does it have to be a TV? I'd be cool if I could plug it into my Atari monitor and switch between that and Cubase (yep, I'm still living in the Atari-age).

I'd never use it live like I would a Sidstation.... I've been on stage with the ST before and I don't fancy stuffing floppy discs in between songs anymore.

D
Thanks

Well, I do want to start doing some DIYs. I went to the street that's full of electronic components shops.. but unfortunately, I've gone there too late and almost all shops are closed ;|

I'd really like to have G2, is that possible to us the front panel to fully edit the sequencer, or just using another midi controller(for the G2 engine)?
Go to top Post Reply