As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Which synth would you buy? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Which synth would you buy?
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!
Re: Which synth would you buy? 18 Years, 4 Months ago
Thanks very much for the advice, everyone! You've made some good points.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp

Array wrote:
These replies are ridiculous. Just because you guys strongly prefer one brand of synthesizer doesnt mean that it wont fit someone else's bill.

They are both excellent synths, but they both excell at differant things. The Andromeda is awesome for huge pads, and analog strings. It also covers a huge sonic pallette. The Andromeda can do very convincing Oberheim and Moog tones, and even some cool CS-80 style brassy timbers. Another benefit of the Andromeda if the huge modulation matrix. It is practically a modular synth packed into a small box, except it offers a whopping 16 voices.

The Moog, on the other hand, is just a pure joy to work with. The interface is straight forward and very simple. This makes working with the voyager instantly gratifying. The whole synth is discrete, unlike the IC based A6 where the filters and oscillators are the only analog components. This means that the envelopes on the Voyager are much snappier and the LFO's are much faster than those on the Andromeda.

Theres tons of other differances....(multiple waveform output on the A6's envelopes, variable filter polarity on the Voyager), but writing them all out would take days.

Jyoti-

What kind of sounds are you looking for? What do you intend to use your new synth for? Leads? Bass? Pads? Effects? What other synths do you have besides the MD?

PERSONALLY I would go with the Voyager, but only because I have a quasi-analog polyphonic synth in the form of a Waldorf Q+. Choosing between the 2 would still be a horribly difficult decision though. I had to pass up on the A6 when I chose the Q+ back when Waldorf was going out of business.

If you havent heard these yet, here are some excellent Andromeda demo MP3s:

http://www.wohmart.com/a6/audio/

Looking for something more digital, eh?

Why not give the XT another try? You may like the Waldorf Q as well. It's like a more refined XT, and it offers a bit more flexibility.
Maybe a Fizmo. I still think a Voyager would give you some things the other Moogs couldn't.
Array... don't think I've run into you in a while. Didn't you bail on KSS?

For what it's worth, I recently picked up a Voyager and I have found it to be a great sonic fit with my Elektron gear. Mainly using it for left hand basslines and controlling it with midi. Giant, ovbiously labeled knobs are a big plus. Touch surface is way cool and more useful that I'd originally imagined. The backlighting and lit wheels are a complete geekfest.

-Robert
Game & Watch
So, what did you decide to do?
Boo
My latest album: 3/5 Q Magazine, 4/5 Aversion.com, buy it here!
I'm going go to London and try and get some proper hands-on time with them all. Also maybe a Poly Evolver...
Game & Watch

Also maybe a Poly Evolver...

That may be a good idea... I just got the evolver... which is more my speed...but since the MPC came the same day..I haven't messed with it yet.
Go to top Post Reply