As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Where to buy good cables? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Where to buy good cables?
Re: Where to buy good cables? 18 Years, 5 Months ago
i'm curious what people here think of Monster cable...
most music stores have crap and Monster as options
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
well then they have crap and crap as options.
monster is crap huh?
shit, so much for my studio! :-D
come on, it's gotta be better than Hosa
Killer Beez
sure - the conductor part might be - but if its got molded plastic connects on the ends, its crap in my opinion. What there is a failure at the connector? You have to hack the whole thing off and replace it - whereas my way you just unscrew the end and reattach whatever broke off

I am not thrilled with monster cable - it might be one step up from Hosa, but thats not really saying much.

dont throw away your studio just yet though - you will get good use out of those monster cables, and when its time to replace them you'll be ready to take the next step and get some good wire in there.
Game & Watch
So basically it is $40 a cable, build your own...or stick with Hosa? No other alternatives worth pursuing?
Chain Chomp
js, i really think you should just use your own ears, go out and buy one "decent" cable and buy one mogami, face them off with your hosa and then decide if it is worth the upgrade for your system. i use a variety of cables in my setup, monster, mogami, "homebrew", and some hosa. i agree with milk about plastic molded endings sucking, but if you arent ever going to build cables or dont have time to fix them, then monster or the like should be fine for you. some of my vintage gear is a little noisy and to tell you the truth you cant tell too much difference in hosa or mogami on them, there are some sonic qualities way down low, but if im not using the synths for a bassline its a non issue. the most important thing is making good music, take a listen to some of your favorite records and i guarantee you will find some hiss and noise in there you never noticed before because you were listening to the music and it was just part of it.

hell i know im in the minority here because i still record on a 68 tape machine and dont really do "electronic" music so to speak, but listen to rolling stones or alman brothers, tons of noise there but if you like the music you dont fuckin care.

cables are a very debated thing on all forums i frequent and it really comes down to what you are happy with personally and that is always very subjective(including what i just typed).
Game & Watch

watson wrote:
js, i really think you should just use your own ears, go out and buy one "decent" cable and buy one mogami, face them off with your hosa and then decide if it is worth the upgrade for your system. i use a variety of cables in my setup, monster, mogami, "homebrew", and some hosa. i agree with milk about plastic molded endings sucking, but if you arent ever going to build cables or dont have time to fix them, then monster or the like should be fine for you. some of my vintage gear is a little noisy and to tell you the truth you cant tell too much difference in hosa or mogami on them, there are some sonic qualities way down low, but if im not using the synths for a bassline its a non issue. the most important thing is making good music, take a listen to some of your favorite records and i guarantee you will find some hiss and noise in there you never noticed before because you were listening to the music and it was just part of it.

hell i know im in the minority here because i still record on a 68 tape machine and dont really do "electronic" music so to speak, but listen to rolling stones or alman brothers, tons of noise there but if you like the music you dont fuckin care.

cables are a very debated thing on all forums i frequent and it really comes down to what you are happy with personally and that is always very subjective(including what i just typed).

Good advice...and I tend to like the noise to tell you the truth... I add static into my songs alot...lol.
Go to top Post Reply