As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Monitor Stands? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Monitor Stands?
Game & Watch
Monitor Stands? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
I need to pick up monitor stands. I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5 Monitors. I'm looking for some inexpensive ones that don't look like tripods or a mic stand. Also, what are some alternatives to traditional monitor stands? Anything homemade out there that is working for anyone?
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
Re: Monitor Stands? 18 Years, 6 Months ago
I have a pair of floor standing speakers with another pair on top. That way I can AB between them.

the little ones are at the perfect height as a result of this - and they are both really high end hi-fi speakers.
i'm also looking for some monitor stands...but i think i need something taller than 36" if i want the monitors really at head level. anyway, if i find something nice for cheap, i'll let you know. also post for me if you find something nice!!~
Chain Chomp
its a good idea to go to a welding shop and get them to price making a stand. tell them this:

I would like to get a pair of speaker stands. i need a flat base and a flat top. each speaker stand will need square metal tubing(then tell them the height you want).

there are different wall thicknesses to the metal tubing so you can decide how heavy you want it to be. then you get 4 holes drilled in the bottom plate at each corner so that you can put "floor spikes" on the bottom plate. another good idea is on the top plate have them drill a hole about the size of your pinky so you can funnel sand or lead into the stand once you have it where you want it. this will be the cheapest, heavyest stand you can get. if you have welding skills this works well. i am having trouble posting pics but if you woud like a pic of the stands i made please PM me your e-mail and i will get them to you.
Killer Beez
well, just make sure that the stands are not adding anything to the monitors. If they are hollow tubes - chances are they are going to resonate themselves, and thats not going to be good. You want the monitors to be as flat sounding as possible.

chances are your space is untreated as well - but maybe putting them on some foam insulation would help if the stands are not high quality.
Go to top Post Reply