As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: The new PowerMac G5 Quad (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: The new PowerMac G5 Quad
The new PowerMac G5 Quad 18 Years, 6 Months ago
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re: The new PowerMac G5 Quad 18 Years, 6 Months ago
Reverential Feces:

Displays
Boo
Looks cool. I wouldn't doubt if Intel and/or AMD have something similar for PC. But I wonder if the software applications need to be optimized for quad-core for the advertised performance gains to be realized.
yeah really...they've hardly begun optimizing for dual core!

and the Intel dual core chip I believe has two Hyperthreading cores stacked, so they claim some similar quad processing type of thing.

I'm not sold, especially for at least $2000. i'll stay on a home built PC for $1000 thanks you very much :-D

Friend wrote:

and the Intel dual core chip I believe has two Hyperthreading cores stacked, so they claim some similar quad processing type of thing.

I'm not sold, especially for at least $2000. i'll stay on a home built PC for $1000 thanks you very much :-D

Dual core and dual-processor are totally different. Dual core is seen as 1 single processor by the CPU and software. So the dual core 2ghz is seen as a single 4ghz. The quad (4-dual core 2.5ghz) is seen as a dual-processor 5ghz. OSX automatically optimizes for dual processing.
Chain Chomp

Friend wrote:

Friend wrote:

Dual core and dual-processor are totally different. Dual core is seen as 1 single processor by the CPU and software. So the dual core 2ghz is seen as a single 4ghz. The quad (4-dual core 2.5ghz) is seen as a dual-processor 5ghz. OSX automatically optimizes for dual processing.

Not true. Windows and OSX both recognize a dual core CPU as 2 CPUs. I think it might see them as 4 CPUs if each core has hyperthreading.

As far as optimization is concerned....a great deal of the highend applications which are used on these systems (I'm assuming you are buying them to do actual work and not browse the web and play games) have been optimized for multi-processor setups for a LOOONG time. I'm talking mainly along the lines of applications such as Maya, Mentalray, Shake, Project Messiah, etc.
Game & Watch
Great, now the PowerBooks look even worse with their outdated specs.
Cappy
Nice, if you don't have central heating in your studio!

i have a dual 2.5, and i don't need the heating on in my studio.

with this quad thingy you can heat a warehouse i think

-Bart
Go to top Post Reply