As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Monomachine or Virus Ti? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Monomachine or Virus Ti?
Killer Beez
Re: Monomachine or Virus Ti? 18 Years, 6 Months ago

What i am trying to say is....if you can afford one synth but need multitimbrality...

Just red the thread and nobody mentioned a multitimbrality. MnM is a monosynth (actually 6 of them) and Virus is a multitimbral synth. If original poster wants to write a lot of harmonics and such, then virus is better for sure. You can do it with Mono also, but not with same easiness.

Also let's not forget than MnM does have 6 sequenced midi-tracks, which can be used for Virus A and other gear/software. (MD can also be used for sequencing other synths too)

The Virus probaply has broader soundpossibiliates for subtractive synthesis and effects and such; this is very usefull. Monos strength is making sounds alive in a very inspired way. This is what I like in mono: it combines sounddesign and music making; while I tweak the knobs the melodies come out as well.

If one is used to computer-sequencing a lot, then Virus TI might also be excellent choice. Lets not forget the vst-integration. It's excellent thing.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
The Moog Voyager RME is in the same price range as the Ti in the UK, I thought it answered the brief.

something that is particularly good for hard/funky techno sounds. I'd also want to use it for hard/dark techstep

You could compare the Virus Ti to the Moog RME, because they are both synths without sequencers, they cost about the same money, and monotimbrality makes little difference if you multitrack, making the Moog a good studio option.

Or compare the MM and Moog because they both have 'limited' capabilities in terms of number of voices, and I think they both suffer in the value for money equation.

If you only want a hard dark doorstop, then the Ti will suit you now or in fifty years time.

Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.......

8-)
Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a Virus A, so the Ti would 'just' be an upgrade, but I love the idea of the VST integration and patch recall per song etc. I think it's probably too much money just to update my existing synth, despite the lovely look of the Ti Polar...

I think I'll actually go for the MM, as what I'm looking for is a different new sound for creating expressive loops and riffs. I reckon the MM with its sequencer will be best suited to this, and probably more inspiring to play with.

Multitimbrality used to be a consideration, but now I just record and layer tracks as I go (Live or Cubase). So I don't mind the MM for that.
Goomba
Oops, wasn't signed in...
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Excellent choice! (Of course)
Hammer Bro
are you mixing up the terms "multitimbral" and "polyphonic"? The MnM is definitely multitimbral. It can also achieve polyphony in a few different ways, either with Poly Mode, by layering parts, or by using the Ensemble machine.

anyhow, good choice. I'd take the MnM over a virus by a long shot...although the polar IS quite gorgeous.
Killer Beez
My mistake. Earlier I was talking about multitimbrality when I ment polyphonia. So as stated earlier I would think about polypohnics; virus has plenty and MnM is a monosynth. This is the biggest divider here (with the sequencer). You can use MnM in polyphonic mode also, but it cant be addressed fully this way. So if you are doing lots of chords and such, then Virus might be better. (You can also use MnM midi tracks for chords (with the Virus a), but in a monophonic manner.)
Good choice... saved yourself some loot as well.
Go to top Post Reply