As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: What other sampler comes close to (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: What other sampler comes close to
Cappy
Re: What other sampler comes close to 18 Years, 7 Months ago

ggoodwin wrote:
well, one thing to contemplate is that if they started a successful VST enterprise, the profits from that would help offset the cost of the hardware manufacturing process and allow them to offer the hardware at a cheaper rate.

...and who makes real money from their VST synths?

I do agree lot of people _use_ them though.

Synthesis is one thing, the full experience/inspiration is another. I think computers are perfect for recording though...

Daniel
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re: What other sampler comes close to 18 Years, 7 Months ago

ggoodwin wrote:
I'm no expert, but I would bet that your average desktop CPU is far more powerful than whatever dedicated DSPs they're using in the monomachine and MD...although I agree that an elektron VSTi isn't likely to appear, I don't think that lack of processing power is the reason....

But for the task of signal processing it's surpricing how much you can get out of a good DSP. It's about getting a signal flow with nothing in the way.

With the DSP's we use we can do one multiplication and addition (the foundation of all signal processing) with limiting, plus move two 24-bit words, and increase a counter. Add to that that a properly set up loop takes no extra cycles. For a general purpose CPU you need to use quite alot of cycles for doing the same thing. Not taking in acount the quick memory access we have. The slowest memory is just 3 cycles away (yes, that's a reason the UW memory is not free, but gave us full freedom).

You never get that tailormade sleak performance with a Intel processor, even though their monster MHz and large caches even out the odds. A modern PC could do the dual DSP Mono/MD-stuff, but it also has Windows in its way... The Mono and MD are all raw DSP assembler.

Daniel
Hammer Bro
Re: What other sampler comes close to 18 Years, 6 Months ago
very interesting...

are you guys hiring any time soon? I'll move to Sweden...

ggoodwin wrote:
very interesting...

are you guys hiring any time soon? I'll move to Sweden...

matter of fact they are, go look at the elektron website
Hammer Bro
holy ****....talk about a dream job...I've used all elektron products, have a ton of ideas, and I am a good C/asm coder, too. but I don't speak Swedish....
Game & Watch

Gyro wrote:
Like E-mu? They abandoned their hardware in favor of vsts and never looked back. I kind a like the way Elektron does business. They don't turn with the wheel, ie. super mega workstation sampler,rompler whatever. Elektron supports their products and I believe that'll be lost when they go the software route.

Yeah, and now myself and most everyone else could give an F what they are doing. lol.
Go to top Post Reply