As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: HardSID?? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: HardSID??
Hammer Bro
HardSID?? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
Has anybody has any hands-on experience with these things? (basically, it's a PCI card providing an interface to mount SIDs on, and lets you program and play it with a computer editor and midi messages)

I want to get one, but how is the OS and editor capabilities? Is it easy to use? Does it have cool features? UMMM????
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re: HardSID?? 18 Years, 8 Months ago
Killer Beez
you still have to supply your own SID chips on that one - and I am not so sure I would want them baking away inside the computer like that - they pick up enough noise as it is.

A good hardware SID solution is best for my purposes, but if I was a PC user, or computer composer, perhaps the hardSID would suffice.

Trust me - once you are in love with the SID sound, and want to take it out on the town, you are not going to want to lug your CPU tower along for the ride - hardware is cheaper and more effiecient. Plus, it only costs about $25 to get a basic midibox up and running, which you can stuff into a piece of tupperware or something, and send CC's to until the cows come home.
King Koopa
yes, midibox sid is the thing!

though i went for the complete control surface and it's getting more expensive all the time when i need to gather more and more components (well not that expensive, i would have bought sidstation a long a go if had the money). housing is money consuming too if you want to do it professional looking.
Hammer Bro
Well, I got non-paying-bidder'd on my SidStation auction, which I take as a sign from gOD that I must keep the station and forget about all other sid platforms (as well as the monomachine I was trying to trade up to)....for now, anyways...
Killer Beez
thats really best - because elektron is using a NOS SID chip - not one that has been used then in storage for 20 years. That chip will last a good long time. They get kinda hot - so they do wear out, I just tossed one that had a bad filter - there was no LPF and it was a tad noisey. Your chip will be good to go and of course elektron most likely has a few spares so that if it dies you will get another brand new chip.
Go to top Post Reply