As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re: Sound Card Help!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Sound Card Help!!
Goomba
Re: Sound Card Help!! 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Thanks for more quality answers.

I am aiming for the Motu 828MKII right now. It vends for ?755 at thomann.de, or ?759 bundled with a Griffin PowerMate USB-Controller. Shipping is a flat ?15. Tried to scoop up a used one but none around and I also love my stuff new in box (a bad case of consumism).

edit: Approx. ?598 from Dr Audio, California.

Right now I am trying to figure out reasons to spend ?939 on the Motu Traveler (192KHz, but fewer inputs?).

Another problem is that I have a Tascam 388 sitting in a basement at work. It's dead mint with only one previous owner but I haven't powered it up for over two years of owning it. Family life on 60 sqm or less won't leave room for that pretty as hell Tascam backbreaker. The reality of my studio space needs to fit into a 150 cm wide x 50 cm deep corner.

The Tascam 388 is by many considered the apex in Tascam's portastudio production. It has a built in 8-2 mixer, dbx1, a full EQ, a backlit meter bridge and, housed in the same unit, a 1/4" tape to record all eight tracks! it was targetted at the professional B-studio market.

I just have a hard time parting with it everytime I delve into its specs and interesting but vague history. Last night I was up all night searching the web, trying to rent some separate studio place... :roll:
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re: Sound Card Help!! 18 Years, 9 Months ago
This is rapidly becoming a "me too" thread, but I also recommend the 828mkII. My favorite feature is the ability to virtually patch different devices together. I have all of my equipment hooked up to the 828mkII (ins and outs) so that I can push a couple of buttons on my computer (or twist a couple of knobs on the front panel) and send one box's outputs to another's inputs for processing. Good stuff when you have a SidStation and Nord Modular in the mix.

I use the onboard mix bus far more often than I actually record from the 828mkII. Sure, I could have just bought a hardware mixer for that, but then I wouldn't also be able to record on a whim. Or have all of these saved profiles for the different types of routing arrangements that I like.

FWIW, this is the same reason I love the MOTU midi express XT; virtual routing makes my life so much easier. I don't have to mess with recabling everything just because I want to try out a new filter setup or MIDI controller arrangement.

And, if you run out of inputs on the 828mkII, you can always get a Behringer ADA8000, hook it up to the 828mkII's ADAT ports and have an additional 8ins and 8outs.

In a nutshell, MOTU makes great stuff.

Hope that helps!
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply