As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:80s Analog Mono Hunt- help.
Game & Watch
Re:80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. 10 Years, 8 Months ago
the upcoming novation bastation 2 seems to pack a lot of features in a very fat sounding synth with a sound close to a vintage roland and/or moog (due to its differente filters)...also it can do many other stuff beyond classic monosynths

It´s quite cheap too
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
steevyhead wrote:
not to "hijack" this thread or anything, but i heard there was a noticeable difference between the DE mk1 &2. Like the 1 was grittier or something. Is this true? Im thinking of going modular and going with some doepfer anywho, so a complete single voice wouldnt hurt. Anyone who can verify this difference?

You can read about it on the Doepfer page, the mk1 used a CEM chip - funnily enough a chip that I believe was designed for arcade cabinets and also used in synths like the Sequential Sixtrak, CEM (Curtis Electro Music) chips were very popular with synth designers in the 80s. Anyway those chips have long been out of production, so the mk2 uses a totally different circuit, therefore some features and the actual sound are totally different. I have not used the mk2 but it sounds decent enough from the demos I have heard.
Boo
Just a little warning: once you go vintage moog, there's no way back!
Boo
I know. I got the ITCH@ I keep going and demoing the Sub Phatty and, for what I want to do sound-wise, I think the Prodigy BLOWS IT AWAY.

I need to get the B model so I can arp and sequence it, but I'll wait it out. I'm going to slow down on the Minimoog D- hold out for an OBX.....
Boo
Oh, and I don't know why everyone raves about the Rogue. The Prodigy wins, hands down.

But if a Source came into the picture at a non ridiculous price, I'd have to seriously consider it.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
A very underrated synth that sounds MUCH more fat than SH09 is the Roland SH-02, has two oscillators and a sub and can be found on ebay from time to time. Also, I have a Waldorf Pulse Plus analog 3 oscillator rack unit am going to hook up to A4 that arrived couple days ago. The Plus version has on back a set of: cv/in, gate/in x2, cv/out x2, gate/out x2, and full midi specs, meaning it has a built-in midi to cv converter and this one is like a Kenton on steroids. They come up from time to time but the regular Pulse does not have it, you absolutely need the Pulse+, otherwise their synth engine is exactly same and has an extensive menu for setting-up linear/logarithmic, V-Trig or S-Trig, and has a mod matrix very powerful and a built-in arp. The Pulse+ could be connected to A4 A/B CV/Gate and then from the Pulse+ you could further drive another cv synth and/or midi out to *whatever*.

I bought it earlier this year for $450. USD purposefully anticipating my purchase of A4 just a few days ago and Minibrute arrives today

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Sub Phatty only have CV/out, Gate/out just like the standard Little Phatty unless you buy the Stage 2 and pay an extra three quid for cv/gate/in mod? Unless my Sweetwater Rep was wrong, that's what made me drop it from wish list in my A4 cv mayhem?! am hoping I as well as Sweetwater Rep was wrong because for less cash you get much more of a capable modulation matrix and better synth than any of the other Phatty's.
The Vermona Mono Lancet is just as warm and rounded fat as a Moog to my ears and costs about same as a Minotaur.
On the cheaper end, the OP could get a Korg Monotribe and believe a newer update allows it to respond to clock and cv.
Game & Watch
namnibor wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Sub Phatty only have CV/out, Gate/out just like the standard Little Phatty unless you buy the Stage 2 and pay an extra three quid for cv/gate/in mod?

it´s exactly the opposite: both sub-phatty and little phatty got CV/gate IN

the mod is to add the CV/gate OUT
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
anselmi wrote:
namnibor wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Sub Phatty only have CV/out, Gate/out just like the standard Little Phatty unless you buy the Stage 2 and pay an extra three quid for cv/gate/in mod?

it´s exactly the opposite: both sub-phatty and little phatty got CV/gate IN

the mod is to add the CV/gate OUT

Thanks for setting me straight and sorry about that...a bit of cerebral dyslexia from military career--seriously!
Goomba
Re:80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Sh-101: IMO this is an underated synth. Too many people diss it. Has a very nice vintage Roland sound. Also very easily to dial up. Can get very funky. And its a little more these days than some of the new mono synths.

Mono Lancet: Had one, wouldn't recommend it as much as it has a beautiful tone, its just a bit boring and not the strongest bass. I do like Vermona thought, had a Perfourmer MK2 which has a much better sound imo (slightly different voices and filters).

Bass Station 2: the DCO's sound pretty tame and too controlled but something about that synth is calling me too

Haven't had a Moog (yet). Tempted by the Minitaur and Sub Phatty - go test them!
Go to top Post Reply