As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:DSI Prophet 12 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:DSI Prophet 12
Boo
DSI Prophet 12 10 Years, 11 Months ago
OK, so, doing the math on some pending gear sales, I can subsidize my purchase of a Prophet 12 to the point that it hits the affordable range for me.

Should I pull the trigger? My hardware setup will (eventually) be OT, MDUW1+MKII2, A4, MI Anushri+ other random shit I chain in.

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but what are people hearing? I can't get satisfactory information (read: good demos) beyond the (very impressive) specs.

Anyone get the chance to play one?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:DSI Prophet 12 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Had a Prophet 08, very well featured synth with decent sound which is excellent for all the classic analogue bass, leads ect although for this reason it just seemed like nothing new and couldn't do anything really dirty with the sound. For this reason I let it go as all I ever seemed to come up with were Orbital leads and Jarre pads all the time.
A synth designed to cover the established analogue poly ground very well for a decent price but not something for the unusual imho so it depends what your after.
Goomba
The P12 has more options for dirtying the sound. Wavetables, inline decimation, bit reduction and a very nice sounding overdrive. In addition tuned feedback.

I went for the Solaris instead but at some point I'll probably get a second hand P12 to compare.
I got a Prophet '08 after a year of using a Tetra extensively. I was surprised by how much I missed the sub oscillators and feedback, which I used to add a bit of darkness and turbulence to the sound. The 12 looks a lot more capable of creating some interesting textures than the 08 (which I will most likely sell to help fund a 12). I like that the character section, with the bit reduction, EQ and overdrive is before the filter. Gives it a lot of potential for harmonic movement and makes up for the relative lack of clean oscillator shapes.

I personally like the Curtis filters on DSI synths. I know how to get what I want from them and the resonant high pass on a poly is kinda unusual. I'm hoping that this might be the poly workhorse holy grail synth I've spent ages looking for. It all depends on the quality of the oscillators and it's impossible to tell if they hit the mark without hearing it in person.
Boo
I found everything after the Evolver series pretty boring. I have the Desktop since ages and use the PEK regularly and as I think the P12 could stand up feature wise I found the Evolver sound to be more earthly, very dirty and grinding from the demos alone. Tough I think I will take the P12 for a test ride but I'd miss the external audio in etc... etc...
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
Want one. Sounds great from the demos. Great on paper. Fair price. Can't understand why no audio input though.

Though I'd guess this is the first of the future polys trend and can see korg at least coming up with a full board this year probs based on a monopoly or something.
Cappy
Re:DSI Prophet 12 10 Years, 10 Months ago
I picked one up a week ago.

I think the core sound is much better than that on the p08. The interface is just excellent - for a complex synth with lots of modulation possibiliies, I don't know how they could have done much better, except perhaps by using a larger screen.

I can't comment on how well it does traditional synth sounds, because I never use them.

I do find it to be fantastic for sound exploration - ambient, noise, other soundscapes, etc.

It very well might rate as my favorite polysynth, and I've tried a few.
Go to top Post Reply