As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:Virus Indigo (B) Vs Nord Lead 2 or 3 or 4? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Virus Indigo (B) Vs Nord Lead 2 or 3 or 4?
Cappy
I am the operator with my pocket calculator.

www.soundcloud.com/ri-caragol
iamri.com
Virus Indigo (B) Vs Nord Lead 2 or 3 or 4? 10 Years, 11 Months ago
I recently sold a virus classic I had in order to buy a Virus Indigo I, which I used to have and missed dearly. While looking around for one one ebay I started doing some research and now I am not sure if I want to get n Indigo or perhaps a Nord Lead 2x or 3.

I see the Nords do not have any effects but I would just run it through the Octatrack. That said, would you go with Nord or would you go with Virus. If you go with Nord would you get the 2x or the 3? I heard the 2x is more "edgy" sounding and people tend to gravitate this way.

Any recommendations?
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Re:Virus Indigo (B) Vs Nord Lead 2 or 3 or 4? 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Ritec, a lot depends on whether you love the filter of the Nord or the vius. The Virus is a more programmable machine, but at the expense of some more menu diving and less immediacy. I have somewhat preferred it to the Nord sonically but they both have their strong points. I would go for the Lead 2 over the Lead 3, it's much better value and earlier leads definitely have more crunch.
King Koopa
i wouldnt agree that the 2 is a better value then the 3, i think the 3 has more flexibility and options, but most seem to prefer the 2 better. I do agree that it has more crunch as well.
the 3 to me, sounds more like a virus then the original nord 1 (which is my favorite)

I dont really think any of the options here are bad, and I dont think they are worlds apart, in fact i would say anyone who doesn't have experience with any of them thats considering one, wouldnt be disapointed with any of the outcomes.

if your a fan of rack units, find a Nord1 and a Virus A or B and start from there, you should be able to score both of those for under a grand combined. if you don't like one, sell it and maybe try the TI or Nord 2/3

The nords sound has changed between the 1/2/3, the virus sounds the same, theres just more features with each upgrade.
Game & Watch
n3wt wrote:
i wouldnt agree that the 2 is a better value then the 3, i think the 3 has more flexibility and options, but most seem to prefer the 2 better. I do agree that it has more crunch as well.
the 3 to me, sounds more like a virus then the original nord 1 (which is my favorite)

I dont really think any of the options here are bad, and I dont think they are worlds apart, in fact i would say anyone who doesn't have experience with any of them thats considering one, wouldnt be disapointed with any of the outcomes.

if your a fan of rack units, find a Nord1 and a Virus A or B and start from there, you should be able to score both of those for under a grand combined. if you don't like one, sell it and maybe try the TI or Nord 2/3

The nords sound has changed between the 1/2/3, the virus sounds the same, theres just more features with each upgrade.

2x = more "classic" nord sound (less virus TI-esque than the others)

3 = much more synthesis options, sounds more "modern", more supersaw-ish sound, better unison imho, you can get more diverse sounds using the extra filters and FM capabilities...for me it sounds midway between the 2x and a virus TI

4 = the more diverse of the lot, with even more features than the others but (just for the demos) the sound is a bit thinner and even crispier...I think it sounds more like the nord wave than the other nords

I got the 2x and love it, but was tempted to get the 3 for the extra features and easy to get massive sounds...also the MIDI-syncable LFO are a great bonus (the LFOs in the 2x just got a "reset" at defined time divisions)
Cappy
I am the operator with my pocket calculator.

www.soundcloud.com/ri-caragol
iamri.com
I did it I pulled the trigger on a Nord Lead 3 for 1,150 and free shipping. I saw them going for more so I figured if I do not like it I can sell it back and maybe even get a bit of profit out of it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Go to top Post Reply