As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Re:Barfunkel - 2 new Nintendo DS tunes (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Barfunkel - 2 new Nintendo DS tunes
Chain Chomp
Everything you own ends up owning you.
Re:Barfunkel - 2 new Nintendo DS tunes 10 Years, 10 Months ago
^ Hey Barfunkel I like that bonus track you are working on, the rhythm is great man, again it's like Warp in the 90s, bit like lfo or black dog. It sounds great as is but if you add or change it I'd love to hear the reversion!

The OP-1 is very special, very simple but complex to such a depth that blows me away. It really is a magical device.
Without sounding like a twat, I don't think many vids on the tube are especially amazing but that is more down to taste. There is a lot of wonky stuff, way too much off the grid slow tempo stuff, and hip hop. For research though, anything by Cuckoo is worth checking, also dj thomaswhite. Yellow tangerine has some nice pumping French house stuff that defo has the funk.
I would paste the links but my phone doesn't do tube links properly!
The fact that the OP-1 is a sampler means you can do what you like, it's just usually in a way you wouldn't expect. It is inspirationally limited, but in a very positive way. With a little thought you can achieve anything with it.
I'm not on the forum but there are thousands of tunes to check out on there but it may well be hard work...
http://ohpeewon.com/discussion/13/op-1-tracks#Item_151

Few people there with an OP-1 and a DS!
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
MD SPS-1UW+
Analog FOUR
Renoise 2.8

http://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci
Hey man, I already commented on the 1st track on SC. That second track is amazing. I'm probably going to get death threats from this statement, but... do you really need an A4 & OT? What would be your reasons for making an expensive shift? I came from the software background and got into elektron gear in October of 2012. My reasons were not for sound quality etc... I want to perform 1-2 hour live sets, and the workflow on Reason was too clumsy, and sending to many cc's would sometimes cause the software to freeze. The the MDUW is rock solid, and really geared toward live music, thus my purchase. If you just want to bang out tracks... you current setup seems to work well for you. Now... for the good. Jamming on actual gear really is fun... so if you feel you could do with a bit more fun, I highly recommend the A4. (don't have experience with the OT).
Cheers
DaCaVa wrote:
I'm probably going to get death threats from this statement, but... do you really need an A4 & OT? What would be your reasons for making an expensive shift?

The main reason is the possibility to do more personal sounding stuff, the sounds on the DS app are very limited and not really editable. I've already used all the good (well, decent at least) sounds on it several times and it's frankly getting a bit boring and hard to make new inventions.

And I absolutely LOVE synthesis and sound mangling, and pretty much hate preset surfing, which I'm sort of forced to do with the Nintendo.

It's also difficult, even impossible to make the spacious, minimal kind of stuff that I'd love to make, basically the Nintendo only works when you have a huge wall of sound thing going on, masking it's weaknesses.

Those are the main reasons for me, that are worth the money.

Oh, and performing a seamless live set is one thing that's impossible to do with just one Nintendo. Maybe with 2 + a DJ mixer. And I definitely want to perform my stuff live.
Yoshi
Sounds like the OT + A4 combo will suite you then.
King Koopa
MD SPS-1UW+
Analog FOUR
Renoise 2.8

http://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci
+1 on the A4, no experience with the OT, but... if your really interested in synthesis over sample mangling, I'd recommend the machinedrum over the OT. You'll create some pretty wicked sounds with this. It won't sound like a 909, 808, 606 (but can come close) it'll sound like whatever you want it to be

PS... thanks for the thorough response.
And here's a new one I made this morning:

https://soundcloud.com/user4904810/jus-techno-pt-11
Chain Chomp
Everything you own ends up owning you.
More time travel!
Nice swing on that, you should edit them all into a half hour mix!
Keep them coming anyway, pity the cartridge is so expensive as I'd get M01.
Beardy Jack wrote:
More time travel!
Nice swing on that, you should edit them all into a half hour mix!
Keep them coming anyway, pity the cartridge is so expensive as I'd get M01.

If you have a a new generation DS (3DS or 3DSXL) you can buy it as a download, for 30 dollars I think. It has double the polyphony too, not sure if there are other upgrades in it.
Here's a new one, this time a rap beat! Trying to write lyrics for it too(even though I can't really, and definitely can't rap - I just enjoy musical challenges).

https://soundcloud.com/user4904810/marios-rap-beat
Go to top Post Reply