As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Akai s900 drive help! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Akai s900 drive help!
Admin
tIB was here
Akai s900 drive help! 13 Years, 7 Months ago
Hello, I remember there being a few users on here when I picked mine up...

Any advice on how to clean, service or swap the drives on these would be most welcome... mine is giving me issues in that it wont read or write any data. Keeps telling me to format disks and when I have I get the oops bad data message.

Ive tried using a disk cleaner with no joy, is it possible to dismantle these things and clean them or should I be looking for a replacement drive?

I read somewhere the amiga 600 drive works but it sounds a little complecated... anyone oknow where they sell replacements at a decent price? (found one for 75 dollars, the machine cost me about the same!).

Also, if anyone has a spare disk they know works and would post it so I can try that please shoot me a pm... id cover postaqe.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
tIB was here
Re:Akai s900 drive help! 13 Years, 7 Months ago
ordered an amiga 600 drive... did a bit of research and the original drive is hard to find, fingers crossed.
Yoshi
http://www.myspace.com/ido3
really should upload some more recent tunes but there you go
isnt there a rubber band in them that stuffs up?
Admin
tIB was here
Dismantled and found the problem... the disk head/reader has lifted away from the arm. I could try to fix it back but I wont be able to align it... dead drive.

Hopefully the amiga drive works...
Admin
tIB was here
this is turning into somewhat of an obsession... the amiga drive didnt work, dont know if it was duff or the akai didnt like it... one of the pins on the connector was missing so that may be the problem.

ANyway, think original drive is what I need, though they are expensive... trying to work out whether I need this thing in my life or to cut my losses. At the minute my s900 is a rack hungry trigger to midi... works great at that but not sure whether to keep it around as that, replace the drive or find another s900/s950 and risk the same again.

vintage gear smells.
Even if you cannot use the diskdrive just keep the unit, even if it's just for the sine wave BWOOOOOOOOAAAAAAP
Admin
tIB was here
^ unfortunately my music already lacks too much harmonic content...
Admin
tIB was here
bum! Samsung sfd-321b failed too. Im gaining vintage floppy drives and losing time with this... I give up.

If anyone needs an ASK-90 input device get in line!
Admin
tIB wrote:
vintage gear smells.

Welcome to the club
Admin
tIB was here
^ four hours lost yesterday dismantling drives, machines and resoldering headers... I dont mind the work but when it doesnt fix its pretty annoying.

Not a route Ill go down, though I'd love to get this thing working.
Go to top Post Reply