As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap?
Boo
Re:Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? 11 Years, 10 Months ago
There's not much to it, nand memory, a logic chip and a few supporting passive components, well under €10 in parts.

Makes me wonder why Elektron charge €360 (yeah, I know. Shipping and labour)

Perhaps they should consider selling them for diy installation, looks easy enough to fit.

I'd certainly buy 2 if they where under €100 each but there's no way I'd consider it at the current price, even more so after seeing what you get for your money.
  The topic has been locked.
Yea there is shipping and labour...

There is also months of research, development and design going into these machines.

A certain price needs to be charged if Elektron wants to continue to develop such units
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
Thanks "mamonu" for posting those photos for me, I don't have anything like that set up and I don't really know how to either... I really appreciate it!

And I agree with what Dataline said, it does take a ton of development and customer support and shipping and warranties (to cover their asses) and production fees and about 1 hour of bench time (because thats about how long it takes) to be figured into that price tag. so I personally think what they are asking in price is 100% fair. The guys at Elektron know whats up and they really honestly do want whats best for their customers/users.

Honestly if I wasn't looking at getting a MM MKII I would have just sent the SFX6 out and had them do the upgrade and check over my machine too. Getting your stuff looked at by a trained tech is actually a really good idea, sort of like getting your car looked over by a good mechanic even if its running OK (Because you never know what could be failing). When I had my SFX-60 Plus Drive done I had my machine checked over and I had all of the pots replaced because they were jumpy and wearing out because I used it sooo much. These wonderful machines need maintenance and love too, just like any other machine. Trained techs are great! And they will keep your life on track. Just my thoughts
Boo
If the interface for the +drive is there on the SFX-6, then the R&D was done a long time ago.
There isn't anything on that board other than some memory, a logic chip and a handful of resistors and capacators. There's no processing going on and nothing that would take months of R&D.

I understand that Elektron need to make money, don't we all. My comment was more prompted by the thought that getting +drives fitted to my MDUW & MNM woud cost €720.
That's an awful lot of money when you see what's involved.

Even allowing €100 for shipping and the same for labour per machine, that's still €160 for a board that can't cost much more than €10 to produce.

Whatever, I won't be buying them at that price and it isn't like either machine needs the +drive to function as an amazing instrument, so it doesn't really matter.
Yoshi
mamonu wrote:
for all non facebook using cats

Thanks!

introvert wrote:
The guys at Elektron know whats up and they really honestly do want whats best for their customers/users.

Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Wow, that's really simple.
Yoshi
@Introvert Thank you so much for taking the time to take photos, most appreciated.

I just looked at the photos... that looks quite ridiculously easy actually.

That +Drive upgrade sure doesn't justify the $500 cost and shipping time etc, guess that's why I've never even thought about doing mine.

I'd buy a board if it was available at a reasonable price.

I'd still like to see the MkI and MkII boards side by side... just to check out what/how they are different, and if there is a keyboard slot on the MkII boards.
Boo
Re:Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? 11 Years, 4 Months ago
Rusty wrote:

Could be very interesting for people with an SFX-6 who would want to mod theirs into an SFX-6 MkII +Drive

Boo
Re:Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? 11 Years, 4 Months ago
I have to send it to sweden?!

Why cant we just buy the drive and do it ourselves?!
Go to top Post Reply