As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap?
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? 11 Years, 10 Months ago
Hey guys, I've got a sort of strange question, but here it goes:

I just got an SFX-6 in a trade and it has no plus drive, and I also have MK-1 MM that I sent out and had a plus drive and new pots put in about a year ago. I was wondering if, and hoping that I can open up my 2 Monomachines and just switch out the guts and it will just be a few ribbon cables un-hook and be able to move my plus drive and new pots over from my SFX-60 into my SFX-6. Since both machines are MK-1 and I heard that the plus drives just plug into one of the main boards... it seems to make sense, but I don't want to fool around inside my machines if I don't need to. And if soldering is involved, I will not venture into that at all.

If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated. I wanted to sell my MK-1 to be able to buy a new MK-2, so if I can save myself $400, it would be much appreciated and that way I would be able to get a MK2 that much faster.

Thanks guys!
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Re:Plus drive SFX-6 SFX-60 swap? 11 Years, 10 Months ago
Theoratically it should be possible... but... there may be slight difference between the pcb boards of the SFX-6 and SFX-60 ?
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
Yeah, thats what I was thinking, but I didnt know if the hookup for the keyboard was already made onto the MK-1 boards or not...? I'll keep you posted, because I just emailed Elektron but I'm not sure if they will answer this type of question.
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
YES! Here is Elektrons official answer! And its from Jon and I know he knows whats up, he's the man!

Hi there,

There's no soldering involved, so you could open up the Mono and transferthe upgrade PCB to the SFX-6.

Jon
Elektron

So I guess I'll be backing up my machines tonight! Thanks guys!
Yoshi
Photos. Take photos. Lots of them. Seriously.

Could be very interesting for people with an SFX-6 who would want to mod theirs into an SFX-6 MkII +Drive

PS: Take photos.

PPS: Did I mention to take photos?
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
Cool man, will do. Might be a day or 2 before I have the time to sit down and get on it. But I'll be sure to shoot some photos, because I'm sure I won't be the last person to run into this. And since you seem as psyched as me about this

I Can't wait!
Yoshi
Well, you be the guinea pig, and if it all works, maybe I'll do the same to mine...

Did you ask them about MkII boards?
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
I talked to Daniel about it when I had a plus drive put in my MK-1 and I asked him if a MK-2 upgrade was possible on my MK-1 and he said that its a different board all together and that it was not possible. I also asked if they planed on a a SFX-6 MK2 and he said that it was not going to happen. He said that SFX-6 horribly expensive to build and they were just a huge pain... so no MK-2 SFX-6 sorry. I'm sure the way our conversation was going that if some MK-2 guts could have been dropped into an SFX-6 he would have let me know. But from what I understand, the MK-1 and MK-2 boards fit into the cases different and cant be switched around. Maybe something with the depth?
Cappy
MDUW MK2
Octatrack
MNM SFX-6 Plus Drive
MNM SFX-60 MK1
MD SPS-1 MK1
Just found this! I'm sure it will be almost the same inside the SFX-60

http://redmine.ruinwesen.com/projects/midi-ctrl/wiki/Opening_a_MachineDrum
Yoshi
introvert wrote:
I talked to Daniel about it when I had a plus drive put in my MK-1 and I asked him if a MK-2 upgrade was possible on my MK-1 and he said that its a different board all together and that it was not possible. I also asked if they planed on a a SFX-6 MK2 and he said that it was not going to happen. He said that SFX-6 horribly expensive to build and they were just a huge pain... so no MK-2 SFX-6 sorry. I'm sure the way our conversation was going that if some MK-2 guts could have been dropped into an SFX-6 he would have let me know. But from what I understand, the MK-1 and MK-2 boards fit into the cases different and cant be switched around. Maybe something with the depth?

I wouldn't have thought they would be that different? (Physically) If anything the physical box is lower, so maybe need raisers inside?

But then again, maybe there is no keyboard socket on the MkII board... I wonder if it could be done some way or another... was it a definite "impossible"?
Go to top Post Reply