As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear DSI Mopho - huge disappointment (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DSI Mopho - huge disappointment
Boo
Re:DSI Mopho - huge disappointment 12 Years, 2 Months ago
Do you guys know where to buy Mopho patches?

This is my first synth and I thought I'd learn subtractive synthesis on it, but the the software is awkward and designing with the knobs provided isn't practical. I liked couple of default bass patches tho. Short of of selling the unit (there isn't really a market for these things in my area) I think I can keep it for occasional patch browsing.
  The topic has been locked.
For the sake of some clarity, I want to point out the fact that just because Mopho uses DCOs in no way means that the signal path isn't 100% analog. It just means that the timing of the analog oscillator it controlled by a digital source. That digital clock never makes it into the audio signal path.
Admin
z01d wrote:

This is my first synth and I thought I'd learn subtractive synthesis on it, but the the software is awkward and designing with the knobs provided isn't practical. I liked couple of default bass patches tho. Short of of selling the unit (there isn't really a market for these things in my area) I think I can keep it for occasional patch browsing.

This post makes me slightly sad -- from everything I've read, the Mopho sounds like a terrible first synth and especially a terrible synth to learn on! I'm not saying anything about the sound, I just mean the interface. Hang on to it, if you can, but there are better options for learning! (Any of the Nord Leads would be up there in my book).
King Koopa
Monomachine
Machinedrum
Octatrack
Evolver MEK PE
Rane TTM 56
Numark TTX
Maschine
Novation SL MKii
papertiger wrote:
z01d wrote:

This post makes me slightly sad -- from everything I've read, the Mopho sounds like a terrible first synth and especially a terrible synth to learn on! I'm not saying anything about the sound, I just mean the interface. Hang on to it, if you can, but there are better options for learning! (Any of the Nord Leads would be up there in my book).

The little box might be tricky, but the keyboard is knob-per-function. I think it's a good first synth due to price-point, it's mono (so it's easier to tackle the fundamentals)--and the routing is incredible.

Hey z01d: If you check out dsiforum.org people make tons of free patches. If you want to learn synthesis, I would definitely try Fred Welsh's synthesizer cookbook. He signs every copy! Also google Gordon Reid's Sound On Sound Synth Secrets series. Kinda difficult, but very informative!

Hey Paper!: Awesome stuff you have on soundcloud! Big fan.
Boo
Cheers for the advice. Thanks gals and guys.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Good advice from Caustic Crush! You can also look up Anu Kirk's Definitive Guide to the Evolver, and focus on the analog aspects (since MoPho's architecture is similar to the Evolver's analog sections).

It might be easier to learn about synthesis on a free VST like synth1, and follow up on the MoPho (which is when you'll realize it sounds nothing like a VST, and most people were in fact repulsed by its yellow stylings, that is they were judging it with their eyes, not their ears; trust me, the MoPho is one powerful little mopho!)
Yoshi
poonti wrote:
It might be easier to learn about synthesis on a free VST like synth1, and follow up on the MoPho (which is when you'll realize it sounds nothing like a VST, and most people were in fact repulsed by its yellow stylings, that is they were judging it with their eyes, not their ears; trust me, the MoPho is one powerful little mopho!)

I'm going to second this one. The Mopho is probably a bit of a pain to learn on as your first synth, and I *hear* the editor is kind of crap...

Dual layer learning... try on synth1, then transpose that knowledge to Mopho. Sounds great.
What do you guys think of the upcoming arturia minibrute?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Minibrute?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CN2F-tS6264CFQJ9hwodZRxGbA

No presets, knob-per-function operation. Actually pretty well featured, esspecially for the price. It's not out yet, but would be a hell of a first analog synth for any reason, but especially to learn on.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
^ Definitely, the minibrute should do really well. It's just a lot of synth for the price, with enough new features to attract people who already have a synth or two, as well as someone buying their first. Sounds like a SH-101 killer, but let's see.
Go to top Post Reply