As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:MIDI issue: MD controlling Minitaur (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:MIDI issue: MD controlling Minitaur
MK7
Killer Beez
MIDI issue: MD controlling Minitaur 11 Years, 6 Months ago
When I control my Minitaur via OT everything works fine but the OT is currently being repaired. Using midi tracks on the MD in general also works fine, except that the MT's LFO is being "knocked out" after a while, i.e., no matter which LFO settings I choose, the sound stays flat. I guess the MD sends a signal that confuses the MT. Any ideas?
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:MIDI issue: MD controlling Minitaur 11 Years, 6 Months ago
Hi MK7, can you fully control the Minitaur's parameters with the Octatrack's LFO's?

We have the same problem I guess, my MD's LFO do not work well with my Nordrack2X.
Are you sending midi clock? I have found the md's clock stream made my MeeBlip choke. Turning the md's clock off solved the issue, but then I lost clock. Got rid of the MeeBlip.
MK7
Killer Beez
@vibes: I don't know. Didn't have the need for additional LFO's so far, so I can't tell you. I'm talking about the MT's internal LFO.

@stinkybeats: I checked that. The MD's send clock setting was off already, switching didn't change things except that the MT's LFO was synced.

What I found out so far is that the MD's Modwheel parameter dampens the MT's LFO. When set to 127, the MT reacts as usual, when set to 0, any LFO settings are ignored. I set MW to 127 in all drum kits and hope that that's the only source of this issue. The LFO can be "knocked out" when changing to a drum kit that uses MW=0. I don't know if the issue is solved now, but it worked well during the last 30 minutes. that parameter might be useful

thx for replies. the MT should be pumping, pumping all the time

EDIT: the MT interprets MIDI commands quite nicely! just discovered overall volume (vca). i was afraid that this parameter might make the MT too loud, but it takes the MT's volume knob as max value. actually, this seems more useful than LFO-ing volume parameters in the OT. side-chaining, I'm coming
Thought you meant sending midi LFOs from the MD. I use the MD with my phatty and have been considering a minitaur. The mod wheel behavior you describe is normal. I have found the MD's behavior is difficult to predict when it sends a mod wheel value of zero and when no mod wheel value is sent. Both occur for me sometimes when mod wheel depth is zero. How mod wheel depth is saved with the kit (did I move the knob between loading the new kit and saving it or did I copy the midi machine from another pattern), P-locks, adjusting it on the fly with the MD's knob, pattern looping (1st step behavior vs other steps in the pattern), and changing patterns all seem to make it behave one way or the other. But I have not been able to figure it out. Let alone the LP has a mod wheel which I will move manually and really through a wretch into figuring out what's going on. If the minitaur has a similar midi implementation to the LP you can adjust the LFO depth both with a modwheel amount command and a separate CC for LFO amount.

Great thing about the CC implementation of the moog synths when controlled by the MD is the ability to modulate parameters that the internal LFO can not be sent to. P-locks (slide and stepped) and the MD's LFOs really can make them evolve.

You could also use an MD pattern with P-locks as patch storage for the minitaur (you can P-lock the CC number and value so in 16 steps or less you can program every parameter).

Don't forget with the MD you need to use two tracks for legato notes.
MK7
Killer Beez
thx for the explanation. full MIDI access is one reason why I chose the MT.
Flo
Chain Chomp
hello!
can you explain a bit more for " using two tracks as a legato!??? thanks!!!
Sure. When using MD midi machines, if you use one track to one synth and set the note length of one step to be long enough to overlap the next note triggered, you would expect legato behavior. But, you do not get it. A note off message is always sent before the next note on. The MD sequencer is optimized for drum sequencing this, I guess, was not seen as a priority. I'd like a 2nd type of midi machine added with different features. I doubt that much development will come of the MD's OS though.

Legato is especially important to me, for synths with a glide/slide on legato setting or a retrigger LFO on legato. How a monosynth reacts also depends on if the note priority is high, low, or last.

So, to get legato you need two tracks. Set the midi machines of both tracks to the same channel your synth is receiving. Set the note length of the 1st track long enough that it overlaps a note trigger on the 2nd track. You now have the ability to program legato in your sequences. Cumbersome at 1st, but it does lead to things I would not have come up with on a different sequencer. If you save a different note number or velocity with each midi machine, rather than P-locks with one track, you eat up more tracks, but some very interesting things can emerge very fast.

Tips:
1. Use many tracks with midi machines on the same channel and use mutes to introduce slides and other variation. The tracks in addition to the main track can be very simple, but introduce a lot of variation.
2. You can add really interesting instant slides on the x0xb0x. The tracks on the MD with midi machines are triggered in order. If two notes are places on the same step on different tracks, the lower numbered track will send a message just before the higher numbered track. So you can have a slide come from anywhere, not necessarily from the same direction or distance as the previous note that was sounded.
3. Hold the original note long enough that its length surpasses the 2nd note and you will get legato back to the 1st note
Flo
Chain Chomp
many many thanks for the explanation!!

first thing i will do is try this after work!!!
thanks bye!!
Go to top Post Reply