As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith
Admin
Re:LinnDrum II - Roger Linn & Dave Smith 16 Years, 3 Months ago
  The topic has been locked.
I'm def getting the analog/digi box - the combination of Chopped drum samples, analog kicks and (hopefully) Linndrum samples are all I need to make a great drum track/songs. I love chopping sampled drums from my reggae and Dancehall records and layering them in the Elekton so I think the Linn2 will be great in this regard.

While the MPC and the Digital LInn2 might share some similarities (I still don't understand what's wrong with that?) I think the addition of modulation (sequenced! lfos...) more extensive FX, x0x programming, plus the real-time- non-stop philosophy will separate these two for even he most jaded of us.

But come on - Roger invented the MPC - of course they will never come out and say that they are making a new one - (hello Akai lawsuit!). In defense of the MPC - plenty of classic records have been made with just that one box and a vinyl collection - while it's not as immediate as the MDUW gear it can also do many things the Elektron gear can't touch (yet).

As for Digital synthesis - I'm not even sure what kind of synthesis either of these guys would want to put in and why you couldn't get the same result from using samples that you've created with other synths run through the synth engine of the Linn2?
Linn and Smith are not known for FM or acoustic modeling - and i don't think they would go the VA route. But who knows...

Doubtful if we'll see anything other than mock-ups at NAMM - Linn and Smith had kind of a busy year and I'd hope they took a nice vacation rather than grind to meet the convention.

I'm just so psyched about this! I've been wanting a Linndrum forever, plus have been eyeing a analog kick AND my MPC is busted so this is coming at a great time!

Last Edit: 2008/01/05 01:36
Game & Watch
actuel wrote:
tsk -- jealous!

unless he's into hermaphrodites. . . JS?

is it PaperTiger or PaperCougar?

Admin
tIB was here
cant say im too optimistic about the interface. while it is no doubt a great machine the desktop evo is not the easiest to navigate...
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I think I'm the only person who thought the desktop Evo was really simple to navigate, I used to fly on that thing. The new interface looks a lot simpler though, the more I look at this, the more I think it's mainly a simpler drum synth, and not something that will be super useful for instrument type sounds. Pretty basic envelopes it looks like.
Admin
weirdly -- i agree with TIB and Tarekith. I thought the matrix interface was extremely clever for packing so many parameters into a small box, but I really wish the LCD readout had been. . . less cryptic. After looking at the linndrum front panel I'm not sure what I think. I'll have to check out videos/demos of it from NAMM, I suppose.

I'm definitely not in the market for a new machine, but something like this as "competition" to what's already out there (including the MD) can only be a good thing for users.

M
Goomba
Tarekith wrote:
I think I'm the only person who thought the desktop Evo was really simple to navigate, I used to fly on that thing. The new interface looks a lot simpler though, the more I look at this, the more I think it's mainly a simpler drum synth, and not something that will be super useful for instrument type sounds. Pretty basic envelopes it looks like.

i am with u, Tarekith..., Desktop eVo was also very easy to understand for me, i have also the 4-voice Rack so, together with the desktop i have no probs so far. At the moment i use more the PSICRAFT-Editor, which work fine since the latest Version, anyhow, nothing for live-editing.
Goomba
actuel wrote:
jim303 wrote:
I'm going to the NAMM show and I'll drop by the Dave Smith booth to check it out and report back.

Be sure to stop by the Analogue Haven booth and say hi to Jon from Elektron.

That will be my first stop!

Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
not as immediate as the MDUW gear it can also do many things the Elektron gear can't touch (

As I've never owned an MPC, but always wanted one, what can it do that the md can't? i.e sample manipulation and so forth....
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Tarekith wrote:
I think I'm the only person who thought the desktop Evo was really simple to navigate, I used to fly on that thing.

I don't understand why people found it hard either...
Go to top Post Reply