As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs One Machine Only Challenge (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: One Machine Only Challenge
Admin
Re:One Machine Only Challenge 14 Years, 1 Month ago
androil wrote:
Maybe we should do this as a '2-way competition': don't tell which machine you used, so others have to guess first.

I think it's equally interesting if everyone uses the same machine. Some of the magic of the early competitions was that we got so completely different results from the same machine.

The EFM-BD was used in one of the first competitions over at the Yahoo forum. It might be a nice and "soft start", as it's capable of basses, hihats, snares, melodic stuff, etc etc.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:One Machine Only Challenge 14 Years ago
hi guys,

should it possible to join you ...

what are the rules ...only one machine...make a song and recording it ...it s that ...

i m asking because i m french and my english is not so good so i don t understand exactly or correcly everything ...
Admin
baobabkipouss wrote:
I' m asking because i m french and my english is not so good so i don t understand exactly or correcly everything ...

no problem baobabkipouss, here is a general outline:

1. people interested in participating should agree on what ONE machine to use.

2. once the machine has been chosen, get to work! songs can be created using ONLY the machine that was picked and song/pattern mode. use as many tracks as you like, but no overdubbing into a DAW (see #3).

3. record the result straight into your computer so you can share your work! no editing in software or external effects. machinedrum or monomachine only!

4. people may be interested in your sysex, so keep it around if you want to show off.

5. HAVE FUN!

I don't know if you guys want a deadline -- it's up to you. This round was user initiated, so we'll leave it to you guys to decide.

M
Cappy
hey, actually, my 'plan' was to allow basic DAW processing and editing.
eq, compression, delay, reverb. multitracking.
simply cause... i've never used song-mode.
and it wasn't meant to be that kind of excercise really.
but yea, if everyone else thinks that would be better, ill digress
Hammer Bro
I'm definitely in if time is on my side!
Goomba
ok thanks...i will chose a machine ...

one more question ... what is a deadline (or what do you mean by that) ???
King Koopa
EFM-BD?

Maybe it's fun to take another machine every week/two weeks/month?
King Koopa
QK which machine will it be?
Goomba
One more question

Who' s telling us whitch machine we used....???
Admin
androil wrote:
hey, actually, my 'plan' was to allow basic DAW processing and editing.
eq, compression, delay, reverb. multitracking.
simply cause... i've never used song-mode.
and it wasn't meant to be that kind of excercise really.
but yea, if everyone else thinks that would be better, ill digress

you guys are free to decide among yourselves since we're (read: mods) not looking at this as an "official" science lab -- the "rules" can be whatever you guys agree to!

however, the point of the one machine and md/mm only limits were to really get people to explore what the machines are capable of and to work within constraints. they were meant as challenges and "lessons" in just how flexible and capable the mono- and machine-drums are. i think most people valued their participation in these exercises precisely because of the limitations and what they learned from working around them.

that being said, you guys should totally go for it! we're happy to see user generated activities/etc. -- just wanted to chime in and give you the background about the purposes of the precurors. . .

M
Go to top Post Reply