As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: distort!
Cappy
distort! 18 Years, 2 Months ago
listen, i have tried bugging endmusik to no avail, so i'll bring my question to the masses... anyone know a great versitile distortion pedal or efx unit? I have been stalking the metasonix page, but i'm worried their stuff @ such a high price is a "one trick pony" sound. I maybe completely wrong!? I'm looking to do some SERIOUS noise for gtars. I really like what trent reznor did with noise wise on the song "Beside you in time," off the newer NIN album. Is there a better forum to ask this?
thanks
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: distort! 18 Years, 2 Months ago
Line 6 POD, if you're using a guitar. I have the bass pod, and it kicks serious booty.
Killer Beez
I prefer the adrenalinn to the pod - for me its all about build quality, and line 6 fails in this category every single time. Unless its the rack verion, its simply not tour worthy - and the rack versions rarely are either.

distortion is not a very complicated thing to achieve - there are a lot of great old stomp boxes out there that are very forgiving with the input impedance and level, and can be used with synths and line level input. If you want something gross, check out the pro co Rat, nothing sounds more harsh and nasty than that. Actually, you can build your own for pretty cheap:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=95
Game & Watch

dethdeth wrote:
listen, i have tried bugging endmusik to no avail, so i'll bring my question to the masses... anyone know a great versitile distortion pedal or efx unit? I have been stalking the metasonix page, but i'm worried their stuff @ such a high price is a "one trick pony" sound. I maybe completely wrong!? I'm looking to do some SERIOUS noise for gtars. I really like what trent reznor did with noise wise on the song "Beside you in time," off the newer NIN album. Is there a better forum to ask this?
thanks

Well, NIN does use the Metasonix stuff. I use the TM-1 and it is wonderful. It is capable of mild distortion and crazy distortion. However, I always feel the TX-1 and TX-2 are one trick ponies as well. endmusik would know better than me regarding those modules.

Some of the EH stuff is ok. Pro Co Rat. The Dave Smith Evolver can be used in ways...with the output hack function.

This: http://www.analoguehaven.com/zvex/lofiloopjunky/

Also, check out the sonic alienator by frostwave.
oberheim gm1000.....nuff said
24 bit digital guitar effects....originally sold for like $2000 now you can buy them on ebay for 350-450 silly secret effects box...not too many people know about it.
Yoshi
sherman filterbank: evil distortion on the input + 2 screaming filters = guaranteed mayhem. i just got a v1 and i f*cking love it! plug in a guitar and it's the most evil 'pedal' in the world (yes, i speak from experience). of course, works wonderfully on anything else.

on this (unfinished) track i use the sherman as guitar amp/distortion. unamplified guitar straight in the sherman, output recorded straight from the sherman. there's loads of fx added to the recorded guitar so it's hard to tell the sherman sound from this, but it gives an idea:

http://dtr.wanadoom.nl/dtr/dtr-guitar_jam_05.mp3
Cappy
pretty epic divi! thanks. yeah i spoke w/ mr. wretch and he opened my eyes to new possibilities. the sherman filter bank will be mine!
Game & Watch
Yeah, divi, definitely reminiscent of NIN ('The Fragile' in particular). The stereo guitars are sick, love the width and distortion. So the distortion is totally from the Sherman?
Cappy
Ha! How ironic. I actually dragged Endmusik out with me yesterday 'cause I wanted to go on a Fuzz pedal buying jag. I ended up getting a MXR Blue Box reissue (super dirty-phat octave fuzz) and a Z-Vex Fuzz Factory (sheets of dirty vintage-tinged mayhem). I also tried out the Prunes and Custard pedal and some other thing I forget. I know Mike is a proponent of Effector 13 pedals (currently only available on ebay). No offense to the other posters, but Rat and Pod pedals are rather "pedestrian" IMHO. It would be like someone asking what a good Drum Machine was and being recommended the Boss Dr series...
Cappy

jsrockit wrote:

This: http://www.analoguehaven.com/zvex/lofiloopjunky/

This is a looping pedal, not a distortion.
Go to top Post Reply