As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Karplus Strong synthesis in the Monomachine (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Karplus Strong synthesis in the Monomachine
Hero of Winds
Re:Karplus Strong synthesis in the Monomachine 14 Years, 3 Months ago
xheindrichs wrote:
The second part (chaotic) is incredible? But ... how have you done this?
Have you gone through the steps in my first post? If so, tell me what you don't understand about them and I'll try and make the tutorial a little clearer.

TrondC wrote:
am I the only one not getting it? how does this differ from any normal MnM behaviour? sounds like a lot of mono stuff I've heard before exept for the flanger (obviously)... This is probably awesome to those of you with good ears, but to me, this just sounds like any other MnM demo, are my ears really that ignorant?
The fact that this now provides another method of synthesis along with subtractive, wavetable and FM means that this update makes the Monomachine an amazingly powerful machine.

It's probably not your ears being ignorant, but my demo not being deep enough. You can get some really wild sounds going with this. P-Lock a "plucked" melody into a series of clicks and back again = cool. The Flanger's internal LFO is fun to P-lock as well.

should one be able to set the Flanger delay to follow keys in the track assign menu? Could be interesting to find chromatic KP here.
I'll have to try that - I don't think it'll work because it'll get the flanger's time parameter to follow a linear scale... I THINK. It might not be the case, but I'm expecting it to be so.
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
MDUW/MNM
virb.com/swiv
nice demo, just had to try this.. not a huge fan of the sound raw (like most mnm patches ) but once it's filtered and with a little verb it morphed into something quite nice.

If you have an LFO free add a fast LFO to flanger INP to avoid having to add trigs to two tracks!
King Koopa
MDUW/MNM
virb.com/swiv
.. or just set flanger track to trig the noise track..

Chain Chomp
Everything is bright clear to make this sound. But to understand the way you created the chaotic part of your demo (at 4.49, when you are saying "playing with this set up ...") is totaly nebulous for me... Actually, you are using your monomachine in a way I would like to learn...

Bye

Xa
Hero of Winds
In that section I've just copied both the noise and flanger machines to make a duplicate synthesizer. I do that a lot with tracks on the Mono, usually panning them, to create a bit more depth.
Chain Chomp
Okay, but, it sounds like radically different from previous sounds... For example, tempo seems to be faster, and sounds seems to have benn tweaked "violently"!

Bye

Xa
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Really cool stuff. You are quite creative with your gear!
Hero of Winds
xheindrichs wrote:
Okay, but, it sounds like radically different from previous sounds... For example, tempo seems to be faster, and sounds seems to have benn tweaked "violently"!
I think it was a different pattern but it's still using the Karplus Strong core duplicated:

The tempo is indeed much greater.

The two KS engines are panned apart slightly.

There's Parameter Locking of the noise engine... I think that's what's creating the "violent" sound - bringing the decay out from zero into about 30 or even to 120 for noise bursts is quite an effective thing to do.

There's some P-Locking of the flanger's "internal" LFOs on both tracks.

Delay is added to both flanger tracks (filtered down).

The filter is working away on both flanger tracks, quite a short decaying envelope on the width. I think the Q is parameter locked quite a lot too though I'm not totally sure.
Cappy
Thanks for this tip! Made some sick noises on the MnM last night! I haven't tried it, but will p-locking the delay on the Flanger "tune" the sound?
Hero of Winds
Yes, the Delay parameter on the Flanger acts as the pitch setting for this setup.
Go to top Post Reply