As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD features I never use (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD features I never use
Re:MD features I never use 14 Years, 4 Months ago
ok...so maybe this is just me...& maybe it's all just in my head about how I perceive it, but...

I didnt use the MD Accent track at all when I first got it....P-locking vol, all good...

But then, one day I did...on a TRX BD I think...& wow ! I'm prepared to admit that this is just some sort of psychoacoustic thing & I'm talking bull...but to me the Accent is doing something other than just a volume change.... I use it all the time now, particularly for kicks, snares & hats....
The original Roland accents were just same on their analog machines - an accented 808 kick is not just 'louder'... & I think that the clever chaps at Elektron have done the same...somehow....& the effect varies from machine to machine....

Or am I just either (a) deaf or (b)mental or (c) both.....??
  The topic has been locked.
AN1
Boo
Thanks for all the good ideas!

Making a kit just with GND-IM/SN/NS sounds like a fun idea, at least starting your drums that way. Maybe I'll get some use out of the IM machine that way. I don't really have any synth with CV inputs, can't use it for that.

When talking about swing tracks I meant specifically setting triggers to only have certain drum triggers have swing.

I love the idea of using song mode to reorder a pattern! I've been having fun with the 32-48 loop ROM machines recently, re-arranging my loops there. Doing this with an entire MD pattern must give great results.

Maybe the accent track on the MD can also make hits louder than 100%? I always preferred how volume was a -64/+63 thing on the MnM vs the 127 default on the MD.
Goomba
For anyone out there with one of Moog's MuRF pedals (or anything else with an analog "step" input, if there is anything else that has one of those beside the MuRFs) and a MachineDrum, the impulse machine is invaluable. The MuRFs are great, but using them for rhythmic effects in sync with other gear can be a chore ... unless you have a MachineDrum heading things up.

e.g. http://virb.com/najati/audio/459720

Here the LittlePhatty is just blaring out loud nasal long notes, it doesn't rest or have an envelop, just on. The MuRF is creating the pulses and it's all in sync thanks to the MD's GND-IM.
King Koopa
The IMP should be fine for a sherman filterbank too, i got the most use out of it with trigger env imput, should be fine for the imp machine.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
One of the first things i do in a new pattern is set up my swing and accent tracks (global), I use them in every single pattern. Things I don't use:

- Master EQ and Compression. Easier for me to just EQ the individual sounds. Turning off the compressor is also something I do right away when I start a new pattern, don't forget it's on all the way by default, and not with ideal settings.

- Classic Mode, I use P-Locks too much.

- Input machines. I should, I just haven't got around to it yet.
AN1
Boo
I also instantly turn off the compressor, I think it's a bad choice to have it on by default. I had a hard time with the compressor in general. I sometimes used it for good effect, but I guess using Ableton etc. is just easier & better if you have that option.

Could you tell me what you do with the swing tracks? I just either leave them or clear them completely, like an on/off for swing for that track.
Killer Beez
AN1 wrote:
I also instantly turn off the compressor, I think it's a bad choice to have it on by default. I had a hard time with the compressor in general. I sometimes used it for good effect, but I guess using Ableton etc. is just easier & better if you have that option.

Could you tell me what you do with the swing tracks? I just either leave them or clear them completely, like an on/off for swing for that track.

I always thought the compressor was off by default. Its such a wierd compressor that its difficult to actually judge what it does.

Is there a link to an old thread detailing what the controls and algorithm actually do? Searching now.

EDIT Ah there it is. http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=63091&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=0

I usually do the turning down of volumes until things sound like they have enough space. I'm not sure if I could get more signal to noise by turning comp to dry. What do you guys think?

Also has anyone ever examined waveforms to see what the comp really does?
Game & Watch
Rarely use the compressor (or indeed any compressor!)

Haven't fiddled with any CTRL machines - do it all with Remote Zero

Have not used song mode yet (have on my Mono though) but I will do so extensively once I get my studio sorted and start writing proper tracks again.

I use the GND machines and AM ALOT!

Have not really experimented as much with the P-I machines as I should have

I don't make as extensive use of p-locks as I do on my Mono, I like my drums to be pretty solid and stable, I do use them to add expression and dynamics but generally not for wibwobbling allover the place LOL

Bit one thing is for sure, the MD is a very well conceived product, to some its a kickass IDM tweakbox, to others its an all out glitch box, to others its a rhythmic core of their studio, to others its a vintage drum machine emulator, , and for others its all of the above and more etc.

But it is cool to sometimes step out of your comfort zone, and pick up some tips from fellow users and possibly go off in a new dawn - er I mean direction
Game & Watch

As for IM i used it for minimal stuff as well. Tried to sequence Korg Monopoly but it didn't work for me...

Did you try the switch on the back of the mo-po? You can set the gate input to + or s-trig, try setting it to +, then on the impulse machine send it to its own output, with the UP at 64, UVAL 127, DOWN and DVAL at zero.
Go to top Post Reply