As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear PSEUDO sidechaining on MD (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: PSEUDO sidechaining on MD
Game & Watch
Re:PSEUDO sidechaining on MD 14 Years, 5 Months ago
EmTeX wrote:

Sound good but sometimes if a do p-locks with the volume parameter, it makes weird crackles and/or noises. Does anybody know why this happens?

I get this too. It seems to happen when there is a sharp shift from a low value to a high one or vice versa. The filter then clicks or pops.

What sometimes works for me is to use Slide. As an example, here is one way to go from low volume to high.
Suppose you have:
kick - - (rest) - - (rest) - - (rest) - - kick ....
P-lock the previous note at a low volume and slide it to the next one with a high volume. I.e.,
kick - - (rest) - - (rest) - - (p-lock) - - kick ....
Use the other settings (like Decay) to make the p-lock sound stop quickly. This way the previous sound will cut off before the volume goes up, so you won't hear it. The MD will slide to the high volume and not click.

This trick can sometimes require some fiddling around to get it to work the way you want it to, but it can stop a lot of the crackles/pops.
  The topic has been locked.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Toni wrote:
Another way to play with dynamics:

1. Take your regular MD pattern
2. Add CTRL-EQ machine
3. Route LFO to EQ-GAIN, with exponential curve inversed
4. Program trigs all over the pattern to make it sway

Good idea! I have simulated a wobbling tape hiss in a similar way; using a random LFO to modulate the EQ on the highest freqs of a droney hi hat pattern. Worked great!
King Koopa
thanks, will try this tonite
Game & Watch
cheers for this thread, lots of brilliant information.

parallelpark wrote:
Toni wrote:
Another way to play with dynamics:

1. Take your regular MD pattern
2. Add CTRL-EQ machine
3. Route LFO to EQ-GAIN, with exponential curve inversed
4. Program trigs all over the pattern to make it sway

And if you route your kick to a separate output, it won't be affected by the EQ-GAIN. Everything on the main outs can duck under the kick.

yep, doing this right now, sounds awesome

another cool factor: the MnM is inputting through the MD A/B inputs (using two input machines: FA, FB ), being effected by the MD Ctrl-EQ machine's trig sequence.
allright, I used the pseudo-sidechain in a track, sounds awesome in my ears
What is side chaining?
Lampeo wrote:
What is side chaining?

you know in certain house tracks, when a bassdrum comes in, the rest of the mix sounds like it's dropping in volume each time there is a kick drum? that effect is called sidechaining, and is widely used in techno and house music. the blatant example is "Call on me", the awful eric prytz track, or pretty much anything done my Deadmau5
If anyone can post a sample for me to hear what it sounds like that be awesome, I am new to this...so please forgive me for the lack of knowledge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ArUgxtlJs

when the bassdrum kicks in, you hear all the other sounds "duck" under the bassdrum, this is to free up space for the energy-rich bassdrum so that the bassdrum is heard load and clear, and it also gives the impression that the rest of the music is "pumping" to the rythm. very usefull effect for bringing dance music more alive
Boo
get creative with sidechaining and don't just duck to the bassdrum like most do. You can sidechain to anything, it's fun with hihats.
Go to top Post Reply