As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge #1 Elektron fanboy (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: #1 Elektron fanboy
Hammer Bro
Re: #1 Elektron fanboy 18 Years, 10 Months ago
damn...you guys have some nice gear....
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
ok - keep in mind that this is my "Vacation Studio"

there is a shit load more of my gear in a storage unit in Connecticut - including more analogs, my Rhodes, racks of comps and other synth/misc all my guitar stuff blah blah blah...

Goomba
ok - keep in mind that this is my "Vacation Studio"

Mmmm.... "vacation studio"...
Trying AGAIN to get my pics to post here......

Killer Beez
what do you do with the toaster? :-D
Hammer Bro
holy crap...I have like 3 pieces in my studio :-?

Are you guys pro?
Killer Beez
I am a collector of shit like this - thats how I justify having so much gear. Its really all I spend my money on - I have no clothing, no food, no girlfriend, etc...

I look at this gear like a usable investment - it pays to save up for the nice gear, because it does not lose value like for example something made by Korg or Roland thats made in mass quantities. I invest in gear, trade and sell it for other gear, and consider my collection to be both liquid, and a preparation for the future when I plan to open a commercial electronic music studio.

In those trunks next to my wurlitzer in my photos are tons of mics, cables, and random thingies. The mics are a serious investment - I have some nice pieces in there - and while they do not get used that often at the moment - they get me work when I do live sound engineering and recording gigs.

So, I do not know if that makes me a pro or whatever - all I know is that sometimes I make money with the gear, sometimes I spend money on the gear. I try and build as much stuff as I can in order to save money and get "the sound" to minimize spending. I have been collecting instruments my entire life - so do not get discouraged about having a small setup! Having this much shit is a burden! However, when I am in a space that affords room to have it all set up in one space its a beautiful amazing thing! You can go into any corner and make music - and have it all routed into one patchbay that can run the signal through any compressor and then into the computer for recording. However, like I said, most of that shit is in storage at the moment - I consider this to be a temporary situation :-D
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
The whole concept of music professional is fluid. Many of the professional musicians I know have second jobs to supplement their incomes. EM composers, especially, make little money from their music. The people who are making a decent wage are playing in Top 40 bands, country bands, and the like, or are lucky DJs who play music that average club people enjoy.

So about the pictures of piles of gear you see on the Web, I speculate that the majority of it was purchased by income not directly associated with music. There is an old joke which summarizes this:

Q: How do you make a million dollars in music?
A: Start with two million.

milkmansnd wrote:
what do you do with the toaster? :-D

If I spend countless hours on a track and it still isn't hot......well, I have to take drastic measures.
Hammer Bro
wow...I don't think I can handle that much gear. I have a hard enough time focusing on making a finished track with just my MD and nord modular...

I certainly would love to noodle around on some of those machines, though
Go to top Post Reply