As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Machinedrum repair frustration (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Machinedrum repair frustration
Goomba
Machinedrum repair frustration 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Hi All.

This is my first post here. Unfortunately i must criticise Electron for their terrible record on repairing my Machinedrum. It originally went away for a repair under the warranty for a faulty output which pretty much renderered it useless. It went to Sweden for a month and came back with exactly the same problem to my total disbelief. But (and this is the most frustrating thing) it went away again nearly two months ago to finally put this problem right. They told me that a PCB board was replaced and fair play they did not charge me as my Machinedrum was outside of the one year warranty time, but because the original repair was a failure the agreement was that i would only pay for shipment.

Well i can tell you that i have just got it back after 1 and a half months and as soon as i have switched the unit on it has EXACTLY the same problem. I know its the unit and not my mixer, speakers or cables because i tested it thouroughly with different cables, on different channels, using headphones ETC. I have fired another email to Electron support demanding explanation and a brand new replacement. I just cannot believe this is happening. I have not been able to create any music for 4 months, something that Is driving me crazy.

Have any other users had any trouble like this ?
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:Machinedrum repair frustration 16 Years, 1 Month ago
shaun wrote:
Hi All.

This is my first post here. Unfortunately i must criticise Electron for their terrible record on repairing my Machinedrum. It originally went away for a repair under the warranty for a faulty output which pretty much renderered it useless. It went to Sweden for a month and came back with exactly the same problem to my total disbelief. But (and this is the most frustrating thing) it went away again nearly two months ago to finally put this problem right. They told me that a PCB board was replaced and fair play they did not charge me as my Machinedrum was outside of the one year warranty time, but because the original repair was a failure the agreement was that i would only pay for shipment.

Well i can tell you that i have just got it back after 1 and a half months and as soon as i have switched the unit on it has EXACTLY the same problem. I know its the unit and not my mixer, speakers or cables because i tested it thouroughly with different cables, on different channels, using headphones ETC. I have fired another email to Electron support demanding explanation and a brand new replacement. I just cannot believe this is happening. I have not been able to create any music for 4 months, something that Is driving me crazy.

Have any other users had any trouble like this ?

My be it is just human mistake? As far as I know Elektron is famous for friendly service and attitude.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Wow man, nothing I can say but bummer. In general I think most people here have had nothing but great experiences with Elektron service. Especially as this was repaired at the headquarters.

I know you don't want to hear it, but if I was you I'd be triple and quadruple testing all my equipment at home, maybe bringin the MD to a friend stereo or something too. Just to make sure that it wasn't something in my set up causing this. I know I've dorked it in the past and just missed a faulty component when troubleshooting an issue. Just seems weird that the Elektron boys would let this slide for 3 times, as they are generally incredible about this stuff. If it is their fault though, I'd certainll be pissed too. At least they should toss you a t-shirt or something.

Maybe try resetting the OS. Hold down function when you turn it on and choose factory reset. This will of course wipe out any of your own patterns and kits, so back those up first.
I can understand your frustration. My Monomachine had problems, but I went through my dealer (Analoguehaven.com) to make things right. Luckily, there was a repair guy in the USA and AA took care of all the details. Although it took a couple months because he kept replacing the wrong thing (which meant he had to wait for replacement parts from Elektron), the machine was fixed and hasn't had a problem since.

Elektron is a good company and they'll make things right for you. Still, I can't imagine them not doing a full QA check before sending it back. That's a little disturbing. Sorry to hear it.
Goomba
Thanks for the replies folks.

I think Electron are friendly too of course, they have done their best i'm sure. But regarding this repair its just unbelievable, i think there must have been some lack of communication as i gave full details of the fault on both occasions ? I have really thouroughly tested my machinedrum to make sure i am not going mad, also the unit is always factory resetted when it comes back so thats not the problem. The problem was and still is a crackling left output. I am waiting for a reply from support as the unit apparently went back to the manufacturer for a new PCB so i want to know what if any tests they did after this repair. Im just so gutted as you can appreciate as i payed £1100 for this and i have not really yet got any decent use out of it. I dont want to mess with the inside of the unit myself either.
Boo
shaun wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks.

I think Electron are friendly too of course, they have done their best i'm sure. But regarding this repair its just unbelievable, i think there must have been some lack of communication as i gave full details of the fault on both occasions ? I have really thouroughly tested my machinedrum to make sure i am not going mad, also the unit is always factory resetted when it comes back so thats not the problem. The problem was and still is a crackling left output. I am waiting for a reply from support as the unit apparently went back to the manufacturer for a new PCB so i want to know what if any tests they did after this repair. Im just so gutted as you can appreciate as i payed £1100 for this and i have not really yet got any decent use out of it. I dont want to mess with the inside of the unit myself either.

Lets keep on bright side of life!

Once I had issue with Native Instruments. Some time ago they introduced this Kore controller and there was new software for authorization introduced - Service Center.

Service Center refused to work on my Power Book. Then I had curiously unfriendly communication for about two weeks with deeply uncompetent Natvie Instrument's "call center boys" - they had not any idea what is wrong, they even refused to give an email adress for direct "chat" (always - trought web form...).

After 2 weeks of huge disapointment I put my new Kore controller in shelf for more than year without any hope for future...

P.S.
A month ago I decided just make a "new user" on my Power Book and try to instal Service Center again. And - you know - shit happens... With "blank-new user" i managed to do proper instalation of this Service Center and accordingly also Kore controller and latest version of Reaktor.
Hero of Winds
...You sure it's not balanced/unbalanced cabling issues?

Anyways, that sucks but it's the only bad feedback I've heard from Elektron Service.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
..Elektron
Goomba
No definately not cabling issues. I have tried many different cables, new and old. Also i have swapped cables between left and right main outs and the left output is faint and crackley in the other channel. I tried it with headphones in the headphone socket and the left channel is duff and sometimes crackley, also all my other gear works and sounds fine when put through the same channel and with the same cables. Elektron had this info but i think it got lost somehow between it going to the headquarters and when it was sent back to the manufacturer by Elektron. If they would of plugged it into a mixer after repair i am sure they would have picked it up even though its not immediately obvious because it can be intermittent, you just need to look at the VU meter to see that the left channel is fainter and occasionally it will crackle and buzz, this is why i sent a complete explanation on paper with the unit. But for this to happen 2 times is infuriating. The replacement of the PCB has made no difference. I think it could be something to do with the quarter inch slots themselves but surely this would of been an avenue of enquiry that Elektron would have investigated, perhaps they did and found no fault which would make this even more of a mystery ? Unfortunately Elektron wont give me a report on the diagnosis or repair, or if they tested it afterwards. They only will say that the PCB was replaced.

I don't want to say bad things about Elektron, i love my machinedrum, i think its incredible, a real programmers delight but i want it to actually work as you can understand, Daniel Trowberg has been good, he always replies to my emails and Elektron never charged me for shipment after all. If they put this right then i'll be happy even though its been so long since i have been able to use it but just now my confidence in their ability to fix it is low. I almost cant look at it at the moment, i feel its cursed.

Shaun.

Last Edit: 2008/03/23 04:01 Reason: spelling mistakes
Hero of Winds
Very very very strange.

Daniel Troberg can't do a thing wrong in my books.
Go to top Post Reply