As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Wavetables on the MD! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Wavetables on the MD!
Admin
Wavetables on the MD! 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Don't know if this is old news..

Just uploaded a pattern showing some melodic stuff on the MD, using retrig with the E12 BD. I've always loved the retrig sounds of the MD. Just upgraded to UW a few months ago, and though I haven't really tried it yet, the retrig possibilities are suddenly endless.

Then it struck me that if you load a sample in the UW that only consists of single-cycle waveform snippets in succession, it should be able to do some of the wavetable stuff that soon will be available on the Mono. A simple sine LFO can sweep the start point and thereby select the waveform. Combinations of LFOs will make this more complex.

Not sure how to match the loop length and the waveform length, though. If it turns out to be difficult, you'll still end up some freakish and possibly cool sounds. Now, if I only got C6 to work on my computer..
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:Wavetables on the MD! 16 Years, 1 Month ago
Whatever sample length you choose, it should be divisible by say 64 (for wave lengths of 2 on the MD) or 128 (for wave lengths of 1), so if you say 16 wavelengths it doesn't matter how long the sample length because the calculation is 128/16 for the wave length so start=0 end=8 etc LFO would need to modulate start and end.

Actually you would struggle because you don't have a way to modulate one lfo and specifiy sample length.
Interesting that you bring this up Nils, I was putting together a Sandbox post about this very thing. The MD-UW does granular synthesis very well by using LFOs to sweep the start and end points.
Admin
me and anselmi had a pretty good discussion about this here: http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=26236&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=10

here's the request i sent to Elektron

So i've been really getting into the UW's ability to have looped playback. A user on the site and I started talking about waveforms/wavetables and we realized you can't do wavetables because of how the UW's start and end points work. Right now for continuous loop playback the end point has to remain set to 127. if it's 126, it just plays the waveform or sample as a single shot.

I'm proposing we just 'Hold' to determine the 'on/off' state of loop playback. essentially move the functionality of having the parameter of 127 to the Hold knob. Thus freeing the End knob of having to be in the 127 position for continuous loop playback. By allowing the start and end point to move freely within a loop, you can scan through waveform ala wavetables.

So in short, I'd like to see the loop on/off to Hold vs. End.

Last Edit: 2008/03/21 21:49
That thread really left me wondering what y'all are expecting from the MnM Wavetable function. When I think wavetables, I think sweeping sonically rich samples that result in gritty granular sounds.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I guess it depends on how they implement it. Some synths like the Virus Ti use interpolation to smooth the wavetable transitions, so the sound is much smoother. Actually a lot of people complained about that, so Access adde a function to decrease this smoothing.
Admin
Allerian wrote:
That thread really left me wondering what y'all are expecting from the MnM Wavetable function. When I think wavetables, I think sweeping sonically rich samples that result in gritty granular sounds.

yeah, i have no idea what they have proposed but in the Sonic State MESSE '08 video Owland clearly said "it will have Wavetable ability". now who knows what that means to them.

i personally love how the Waldorf has them implemented, as well as the Ti. sweeping throughout the tables and equally being able to assign LFOs or in a Modulation Matrix would be ideal.

my suggestion to Elektron above isn't ideal but would allow one to 'kinda' do wavetables on the UW.

staying tuned...

Last Edit: 2008/03/21 23:32
Tarekith wrote:
I guess it depends on how they implement it. Some synths like the Virus Ti use interpolation to smooth the wavetable transitions, so the sound is much smoother. Actually a lot of people complained about that, so Access adde a function to decrease this smoothing.

Yeah, I hear ya. The TI's granular implementation is fantastic, but I can really do a lot more granular creativity with the MD-UW. Sweeping combined with setting start/end locks for specific trigs opens up huge possibilities. Man, can we have 64 steps on the MD MKI already?

Ultimately, the new wavetable implementation in the MnM seems a lot more like an extension of the Digipro Wave machine than a granular tool. (imo!)
Killer Beez
actuel wrote:
me and anselmi had a pretty good discussion about this here: http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=26236&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=10

here's the request i sent to Elektron

So i've been really getting into the UW's ability to have looped playback. A user on the site and I started talking about waveforms/wavetables and we realized you can't do wavetables because of how the UW's start and end points work. Right now for continuous loop playback the end point has to remain set to 127. if it's 126, it just plays the waveform or sample as a single shot.

I'm proposing we just 'Hold' to determine the 'on/off' state of loop playback. essentially move the functionality of having the parameter of 127 to the Hold knob. Thus freeing the End knob of having to be in the 127 position for continuous loop playback. By allowing the start and end point to move freely within a loop, you can scan through waveform ala wavetables.

So in short, I'd like to see the loop on/off to Hold vs. End.

Yeah! This is excellent idea. Actually I have been thinking the same thing couple of times. It would be way cool to be able engage an endless loop with any start/end positions. Like record your beat with the ram-machines and reconstruct the same beat by looping different kind of segments of the original recording. This would be way cool and very handy!!
Admin
This is an interesting discussion. I see that I'm a UW rookie

Actuel; did you get a response to your suggestion to move the loop on/off functionality to the hold parameter?

Last Edit: 2008/03/22 05:22
Go to top Post Reply