As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Site Suggestions Site Bug & Features Request Thread (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Site Bug & Features Request Thread
jgb
Boo
Re:Posting related bugs/features 16 Years, 4 Months ago
actuel wrote:
again, this is not a bug, nor a usability 'bug'... it's a preference. this site adheres to web standards. maybe not all the latest web technologies, but all supported and outlined by the W3C. there is no official current standard by which all forum software and community boards should and shouldn't do things.

I think you have misunderstood what I mean with usability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability is a bug.
  The topic has been locked.
jgb
Boo
Since my other thread was locked, I'll repost this. Hopefully with a better explanation of what is happening.

To get around the bug where posts are not marked as read when read once, I use the "mark this forum read"-button. Which does not do the job fully either. Thread which should be marked as read, are not marked as such.

I use Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Win XP SP2.

So, what I do is this:
1. Start Firefox
2. Go to http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28 (the forum link)
3. Ctrl-click all subforums that contain unread topics to open them in a new tab in FF
4. Go through each subforum and ctrl-click the topics I want to read to open them in a new tab in FF
5. When all interesting topics for a subforum has been read, I click the "mark this forum read"-button
6. Repeat from step 2 until all forums have no new posts that I want to read.
7. Reload the http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28 (the forum page) which now shows all forums and topics as read and not containing any new posts
8. Wait a couple of hours (I might shut down the computer here)
9. If necessary, start FF and reload the forum start page (http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28)
10. Ctrl-click all subforums that contain unread topics to open them in a new tab in FF
11. Go through each subforum to see what topics there are

Result:
Some of the topics that I marked as read on step 5 are now marked as unread, even though no new post have been made in them.

Expected:
Topics with no new posts in them to stay marked as read.
jgb
Boo
As for the "500 Internal Server Error", if it is possible to have a look at the logs for the forum server that might provide some information regarding what happened.
Admin
jgb wrote:
I think you have misunderstood what I mean with usability. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usability is a bug.

Of course it's possible I misinterpreted your intended point, but I don't believe I did. I appreciate the link and am familiar with the term usability in this context. At this point we're talking semantics, but working in web design and developing community for some time, I can assuredly tell you that it's NOT a bug. It's a preference.

My point I was trying to make in the prior post is that there is not standard that exist on how forum software 'submit' buttons should be handled. I have worked with PunBB, Vanilla, phpBB, vBulletin, Xoops, Drupal, and many others. Some things are a like, and many things are different. This sites software has many of the likeness's of those other forum software's but also differs in ways. Such as the submit button placement.

Anyway, back to the main point which was a feature request. I will likely update the placement to try to accommadate your preference but it won't be any time soon. I'm currently focused on actual bugs.

thx
an
Admin
thx for the report JGB on the 'mark as read' bug. this bug and item's appearing new after already being viewed is a known bug in 'Fireboard', the forums software. here's the text from just a page back:

yeah, for whatever reason you have to refresh you browser though it refreshes upon hitting 'Mark as Read' or if you have read it already. there is now a 'mark all as read' in each category. look at the bottom of the of the forum.

kinda odd, i know. refreshy-fresh!

------------

I have the option of removing the ability to view 'New' and 'Mark as Read' options, but I'd rather not. While it's not working as it should, it is still handy in it's current 'buggy' status.

i hope you can manage till it's resolved
Admin
jgb wrote:
As for the "500 Internal Server Error", if it is possible to have a look at the logs for the forum server that might provide some information regarding what happened.

i just checked the last 300 messages with zero returns "500 Internal Server Error". additionally, i searched and returned zero results for "500" errors. anamoly? who knows, i'll keep a watchful eye.

also, i noticed earlier from your commenting on 'Marked threads'. you may considering updating to the latest FireFox. not that this will sort out the handful of bugs that it appears your experiencing, but it never hurts to keep your software up-to-date.

cheers,
a

Last Edit: 2007/12/26 06:57
Admin
jgb wrote:
Since my other thread was locked, I'll repost this. Hopefully with a better explanation of what is happening.

Just so there's no questions why I locked JGB's threads. I locked them with the intent of keeping all bugs and feature requests to a single thread. Additionally, I contacted JGB about this. This makes it more manageable for me to keep track of, and allows users to view a single thread of open bugs and resolved ones.

I have stickied this topic so it won't get burried.

Also, everyone keep in mind that I'm doing this in my spare time. I don't work for Elektron and have no financial compensation for my efforts. I do this out of my love for Elektron and the community. I will try to accommodate everyones request if possible and will also try to squash bugs if I can.

Last Edit: 2007/12/26 07:10
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Re:Official Bug & Features Request Thread 16 Years, 3 Months ago
a quick one;
I don't think "Friend" appears anymore, the namespace is just totally blank
(you know, when someone posted anonymous or wasn't logged in or something )
jgb
Boo
Just a wish, remove the forced uppercase on usernames as they appear in posts.
Admin
hageir wrote:
a quick one;
I don't think "Friend" appears anymore, the namespace is just totally blank
(you know, when someone posted anonymous or wasn't logged in or something )

Yeah, 'Friend' posting is no longer possible. Everyone has to be a registered user to take part in discussions. Additionally, they're have been a couple of people who have been banned and one user who wanted their account deleted, in those case the old site would default and say "Friend". Well the new site isn't as smart at handling deleted and removed accounts. So there are a handful of old post the have no names in them as those users are no longer a part of the user list.

The good news is that this new site doesn't delete users. I can ban a user or make it possible to remove them without removing their data completely from the database. Thus we want have blanks in the future.

/a
Go to top Post Reply