As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:iPad user opinions on workflow (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:iPad user opinions on workflow
Goomba
Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Xoxbox, Mf-104m, Mf-108m, Mf-102
Re:iPad user opinions on workflow 10 Years, 6 Months ago
There are some incredible Ipad apps. Samplr the Korg apps and Animoog are all really great. But I never use them!
For me workflow is everything.
I always come back to Ableton Live and Elektron gear.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
You can always simply use a great software app you love on iPad then just feed that output directly into your audio interface and then onto your DAW as a track audio/midi.

Believe it or not, Behringer just came out with a great iPad docking station called iStudio iS202, which I just ordered from ZZSounds for $149. and it's like the old Alesis iODock on steroids with a lot more options and it can be used as an interface with inputs and has usb and DIN midi in/out but also has two audio outputs where you can do as I will be doing as I JUST bought the iPad 2 16GB to use with that soecifically for the new APP Waldorf has called NAVE. All in all, with $349. at Target today for the iPad 2 16 GB, $149. for the iStudio iS202 Dock by Behringer, and cost of this monsterous sounding synth NAVE at $12.99 in App store; $550. with tax on iPad, total, it costs as much as a Moog Minitaur and will be gateway to a more versatile and connected studio with plethora of other useful apps for making music....however, as I stated, still will be feeding all my hardware synths, A4, and iPad audio out to my Scarlett 18i20 then into Reaper DAW.
I will be using the Keith McMillen QuNexus and Midi Express to use as an expressive keyboard for the NAVE App rather than the iPad screen keys...also plan to connect eh QuNexus to the A4 to see if I can input notes with velocity and after touch rather than the mini keys, saving the time of setting up plocks for those notes...will report back how it works once it all arrives.
Hope this helps. I know Behringer gear sometimes gets a bad rap but behringer just bought out AKG and another major company recently, and people I know in UK using this new iStudio are blown away by it's functionality verses price and what Alesis used to offer (Alesis iODock would not handle iOS about like 4 as no new updates and a lot of apps run iOS 6 or new iOS7)

You do not *need* to spend the big bucks on the iPad Retina Display models--FYI.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
GaryPHayes wrote:
I am starting to really integrate the iPad into my OTB elektron setup and use Magellan and Nave really for analog sounding pads to add some instant polyphony to a couple of A4s and MD. eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7KcY3Lz_4 I also use it to enter sequences into the A4s - the cool thing is the footprint is small vs a 3-4 octave keyboard. Still trying to find a good way to switch sounds easily as as someone said above, and real time editing is pretty hard on all 'ott realism' interfaces...

LOVE your music~!! Made very happy to see you using the new Behringer iStudio iS202, as I had *just* ordered one today primarily for Waldorf Nave App Synth and resistance was indeed futile and today just bought an iPad 2 16GB for first time to use with the iStudio and Nave, and the QuNexus and Midi Expander are on their way as well!!!!

How goes it with the iStudio? The price to extreme feature rich ratio made it a no brainer! I am an all hardware guy but the NAVE was first time ever I heard something worth getting an iPad just for it! Still will be feeding audio into my Scarlet 18i20 and recording audio mainly into Reaper.

Have a question; I plan to use the QuNexus with the iStudio and Nave but wondering if you are able to PLAY NAVE from the analog Four's mini keys and if so, is this just iStudio midi out to A4 in? Also, do you use a midi routing box to sync all that hardware? Thanks in advance!
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
You should be able to feed Nave MIDI from anything with even a cheapo 1x1 MIDI interface from Amazon, that's what I use. Patiently waiting for the new iConnect4 thingy to come out though, that will be really useful to have.
Goomba
Tarekith wrote:
You should be able to feed Nave MIDI from anything with even a cheapo 1x1 MIDI interface from Amazon, that's what I use. Patiently waiting for the new iConnect4 thingy to come out though, that will be really useful to have.

Thanks! I actually have some rather 'old school' but incredibly still utilitarian midi routers that do not even have USB to clutter-up the flow of things that use simple sliders on the rack unit. One is called the Kawai MAV-8, which is an 8 out/4 in midi router. The other was made by Digital Music Corp. the MX-28S, 2x8 midi patch bay, that it too uses simple sliders so when working OTB, no need for all the USB midi Timepiece stuff to complicate things when it's pretty easy to do on the fly when one has several rack hardware synths or otherwise.

However, I plan to use my soon to arrive KMI QuNexus and the KMI Midi Expander to *try* to see if I can use this more expressive after touch/velocity, modulation keys to input notes into the A4 as an experiment to set-up "played dynamics" rather than having to place plocks after the fact. QuNexus will also work with Nave on iPad in the new Behringer iStudio iS202, iPad 2 just ordered today.
My gas exploded but all I can think is I am pretty set for gear for Winter months now! plenty of time to learn the MnM mk1 or possibly sell and buy a second A4....man, this is the best instrument to come out for quite a while from my perspective!!! Really exciting times to be back into music again rather than where I was in my military career for way too long!!!!

Thanks a lot! learning a lot from this forum and look forward to next evolution of this forum with Elekronauts very soon!
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
If you want to drive Nave from the A4, then you need to get MIDI into the iPad, and currently that can only be done via the USB camera Connctor Kit Apple sells, and a compatible MIDI USB interface. That's why I mentioned the USB options.
Goomba
Tarekith wrote:
If you want to drive Nave from the A4, then you need to get MIDI into the iPad, and currently that can only be done via the USB camera Connctor Kit Apple sells, and a compatible MIDI USB interface. That's why I mentioned the USB options.

I need to clarify as was feeling ill when I wrote that.

1. The brand new Behringer iStudio that I ordered, is like the now out of date Alesis iODock, but much more feature rich and iPad slides into it, has midi DIN in/out, USB and USB can do midi/out as well, has two XLR/TRS input channels, with one with hi-z preamp on one of channels but both can take line signal, has two TRS outs to go out to powered monitors or to inputs on an audio interface to feed a DAW or could even feed into Analog Four External Input, 2 RCA inputs as well, powered by A/C included AND can be battery powered for on the go/DJ, works stand alone or can work as an audio interface for PC/MAC, has 6 knobs on left side of iPad for hands on input vol, output vol, balance between for direct monitor in DAW, two headphone out puts and separate volume for each.
THIS has *just* made it to a few online retailers and have been waiting for it since NAMM and the iStudio iS202 can send midi to any hardware synth or receive to drive iOS Synth App internally. Works on iPad 1, 2, 3 but *not* newer retina display models with Thunderbolt and will certainly work with our gear.

2. I was more thinking about e Analog Four, using the QuNexus along with it's Midi Expander, which is the nexus between it and any midi hardware and use the QuNexus's expressive after touch, velocity, and modulation configurable CC's keys to input notes just like any cheap midi controller, using a track's internal analog voice on A4 to lay down a player's expressive moment rather than having to do it all via PLocks after the fact.

My thing is, there's a LOT of crap-tastic midi controllers out there and because I will be using the QuNexus to play Nave connected to iStudio at times, changing the routing when I want or as entirely isolated scenario to the Analog Four--should be worth the try. Especially since Diane from Keith McMillen Instruments stated via the editor for QuNexus one can configure the midi cc's with much flexibility. Just think connected hardware synth to QuNexus needs to be on midi channel 2 from one download of 10 pages was able to glean before my stuff arrives and have full registered access.

Yes, I know the mini keys are really great and cool but being primarily an expressive player and for the ambient surreal soundscapes am working on, think it would help my particular work flow.
Went route of the new Behringer iStudio iS202 because have enough cables around and find the IK Media stuff and other's akin kind of fiddly, and am also accommodating my unique mobility issues as a recently disabled and retired military officer veteran from our crazy psychic wars.
Appologize if I was not as clear as I should have been in previous post. The Nave can sound pretty analog on it's own and if anything, I would run Nave output from iStudio through Waldorf Miniworks 4-Pole analog filter, if need be.

Here is GARYPHAYES, whom I was responding to on his use of similar set-up a few posts up doing on YT that's actually using the new Behringer iStudio iS202 for the Nave and his set-up of 2- Analog Four's and other gear and check out his other videos...really great stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjpijPUf3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXkFEzeeW4
Cappy
I've had an iPhone for a few years now, but didn't get more serious about making music/sound art with IOS apps until I got my iPad. It's become my favorite way to make music during my daily train ride.

Two must-have apps are Audiobus (inter-app audio routing) and Audioshare (audio file manager, also serves as a quick-and-dirty recorder if you stick it in the Output slot of Audiobus).

Onscreen piano keyboards are a pain because the black keys are smaller than the whites, so its easier to accidentally hit the wrong note when the train suddenly shakes. I prefer alternative interfaces for note entry like sequencers, the iFretless apps' guitar fretboard-like layout, Orphion, and Gestrument. I am however eyeing the upcoming Miselu C.24, which is a keyboard for the iPad that folds into an iPad case - looks like a great fit for on-the-train usage: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miselu/c24-the-music-keyboard-for-ipad

Gestrument and Poly are my current favorite apps for generative music.

As for multitrack recording, there are plenty of users who record and mixdown on Auria, Cubasis, etc. You just have to do the common sense stuff like switch to Airplane Mode, kill all background apps that you don't need, tweak your audio buffer frame size, etc.

My workflow changes from project to project. Currently I am processing some audio I took from a Youtube video of after-storm footage, trying to make that into a piece. I'm using it with Turnado, which is, like our beloved Octatrack, great for radically altering audio.
Chain Chomp
Tarekith wrote:

i thought the a4 does not drive external synths.
but if it does then you could also connect the a4 to a mac or pc(using the free rtpmidi) via a midiinterface and route the midi via wifi (adhoc or router) to the ipad.

or the other way around. playing musix pro on the ipad to controll hardware synths.

What i really like right now is controlling Nerve on my notebook with the Lemur template from Steve Duda.
That workflow really feels like controlling a machinedrum or octatrack, except for for the noisy and clicky stepbuttons and encoders.
Goomba
Bathrobe wrote:
Tarekith wrote:

i thought the a4 does not drive external synths.
but if it does then you could also connect the a4 to a mac or pc(using the free rtpmidi) via a midiinterface and route the midi via wifi (adhoc or router) to the ipad.

or the other way around. playing musix pro on the ipad to controll hardware synths.

What i really like right now is controlling Nerve on my notebook with the Lemur template from Steve Duda.
That workflow really feels like controlling a machinedrum or octatrack, except for for the noisy and clicky stepbuttons and encoders.

The *sequencer on the A4* will not output/drive external synths via midi (yet)! If you hook-up a hardware synth module/rack/whatever to the midi out port of A4 you can PLAY that external module with the A4 mini keys--just have to make changes on that external synth you want for tweaking parameters, changing programs, and also of course, making sure your midi channel set-up is configured correctly to receive on that synth. I only did it "accidentally" and surprised the heck out of me but have also remembered reading over past 8 months as a lurker on this forum that it could be done as aforementioned.

I can report that the new Behringer iStudio iS202 works flawlessly as a dock with many great features and seems really well made. UNLIKE the Alesis ioDock, the Behringer iStudio can handle both MIDI and yes, SYS EX data, meaning not only your apps, but integrating external synth racks/modules via either internal audio within apps and Audiobus App, or via midi via DIN midi in and outs, you can also have the USB connected to your PC/MAC for midi into your DAW of choice OR audio out from the iStudio via two separate channels placed/input to your audio interface or a hardware multi-track recorder--however one works...even feeding an Octatrack, or running through effects bus on A4, etc.

Still learning the QuNexus and Midi Expander from Keith McMillen Instruments and will just say it's an amazingly expressive way to play NAVE and someone in Europe told me it's quite wonderful with Animoog as well as THOR. Remember that the QuNexus has cv/gate in and 3 separate cv outs, making a great midi/cv nexus and further extend the A4 cv track possibilities.

All the above are relatively inexpensive peripherals and these are USD$ prices: Behringer iStudio $149. QuNexus $149. Midi Expander $49. collectively, cheaper than buying a good midi controller keyboard.
I do not recommend the Akai Synthstudio for iPad because you are locked into using their program/app and it not only does not work properly and have not updated anything, but the MPC style pads simply do not work on anything more than their own inclusive program and probably reason it's now so cheap. There's other options out there that allow iPad to rest on a midi controller keys, but most only have midi over usb for PC/MAC with either no midi DIN at all or only midi out DIN port only.

Lastly, by end of year, Behringer will have Apple Certified the iS202L, which is exactly the same as the iStudio iS202 but made for iPads with newer Lightening connector. The former works with 30 pin iPad 1,2,3

Check out Vanderson on YouTube using the iStudio with his set-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_C4WgbGbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUjIncu9bY
Go to top Post Reply