As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Re:Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan
Game & Watch
Re:Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan 10 Years, 9 Months ago
The portability is the main draw, but I would not write them off, people will do great things with them, and I do think £ to performance the A4 is better value, BUT without a generator I can't use it outside, and for gigging I think these volcas will be excellent, sling all 3 in a bag and still have room for some 'serious' gear.

The bass one does not sound good to me, maybe the demos don't do it justice, but I'll find out when I get them. I still think overall the monotribe is a better bet, it has a lot in its favour and with mods can be taken
  The topic has been locked.
^
Yep - I'm with Daren on this. Fair play to Korg for producing cheap,fun boxes great for bashing out acid, techno,house & general electronic clatter.

I don't see the point comparing them really - of course they're not going to have that much finesse or depth - they're little more than £100 each !

I mean you can extend that argument to anything really : the Analog Four is a good example. As a feature set its an incredibly good value box of tricks - but in terms of its pure analog mono synthesis 'sound' it's not remotely on the same level as say my Micromac or SEM. It's wooly, lacking clarity - the oscillators are incomparable to the macbeth's & the filter is cant hold a candle to the SEM's. but what do you expect ? Horses for courses innit ?! What you get for your 900 clams is pretty awesome with the A4, but by the same token I don't think you can complain at what the volcas deliver at their price point.
Yea volcas are not comparable as they are in a different market.

But sound wise they are not so good i think. On volca drums, the sound is generally muffled, really low volume on some parts. Bass volca has a strong sound but as a personal opinion - it got old pretty fast...

As i said, the best thing about these boxes is the price. And you could jam for hours with a battery amp in middle of nowhere - now thats special!
Game & Watch
Yep, XMIT good point.

And really guys doesn't the same thing apply to most things? For example sometimes I just want a pot noodle, other times I might want a Big Mac, but sometimes a fine meal is what I want.

Also it is nice to mix it up, analog, digital, lo-fi, vintage, modern, cheap, expensive, iOS apps, this makes for an interesting sound pallette.

But yeah, don't expect champagne for lemonade money.
Game & Watch
Oh those Standuino things look like a lot of fun too...........
Game & Watch
Hmm on the bass one, I really think I'll mostly use it with just one oscillator, even on "proper" synths for bass I rarely use more than one oscillator anyway, but I'm wondering if it will sound better with a little less drive going into the filter, especially since it runs on batteries.
Chain Chomp
Here's a quick review I made of the bass unit:
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWpwF2EYjSE

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocy9uPcqf7g
Game & Watch
Thanks for doing this, is the keyboard fixed or can it be transposed when inputting a sequence?
Chain Chomp
The keyboard can't be transposed but you can set the oscillator scaling with the octave knob. Which is, incidentally, the only knob automation you can record into the sequencer.
Cappy
skab wrote:
The keyboard can't be transposed but you can set the oscillator scaling with the octave knob. Which is, incidentally, the only knob automation you can record into the sequencer.

That's interesting, I couldn't find any mention of motion recording in the Volca Bass manual.

For info, the manuals state that for the Volca Beats, the Stutter 'Time' and 'Depth', and the 'PCM Speed' knobs can be automated, and for the Volca Keys, all transparent knobs other than the PEAK knob (below VCF) & TEMPO knob can be automated (13 parameters!).
Go to top Post Reply