As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Q and A session if anyone has some bassstation 2 questions! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Q and A session if anyone has some bassstation 2 questions!
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Re:Q and A session if anyone has some bassstation 2 questions! 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Perhaps like the original Bass Station, they will follow-up with a Super Bass Station 2 with cv/gate/midi converter?!
What I have heard of BS2, am glad they put a newer filter as an option to use rather than the 303 emulator being only option. It indeed sounds good and at a great price and after touch is a very good thing. If Pulse 2 Kybd never materializes, may then reconsider BS2.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:Q and A session if anyone has some bassstation 2 questions! 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Where can I find info about the $50 rebate from novation?
Goomba
Cappy
like i said..... this thing is plastic.... but it can get SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thick. its a GREAT synth, i never turned my osc's past 50% when looking for creamy tones, and i did when i wanted it to rip, but the bs2, the triangles with a 12db LP and filter at 10 o clock makes the minibrutes creaminess seam like cottage cheese.

I just had to write this stuff.... I love trying new things.... and the no CV gate stinks I will totally 100% agree. Id love to sequence this with the A4. However with the amount of Options on this thing, plus the fact I can sequence it from the OT, or MnM (i dont use the MD for seq) and hell the things OWN sequencer (which is a blast).... its not that big of a deal.

Im telling you... this thing is soooo far from the treble station novation released in the 90's. and thiis "osc filter mod" is one of the strangest things ive ever heard. Playing with that and osc 1 (its sound is based of osc 1) is so friggin crazy. I lost like 3 hours getting different tones with it.
Cappy
I have a Bass Station II that should be arriving soon. I don't own an A4, but have always wanted one. Could you compare the sonic capabilities of these synths with one another? Which do you prefer for bass sounds? Should I maybe return the Bass Station and spend a bit more $ for the A4?

For the sake of this comparison, you can ignore the A4's awesome sequencer and just focus on the quality of the oscillators, filters, overdrive, etc.
Goomba
A4 doesn't have that 'creamy' a sound to its filters etc.
You should consider something else if you want that, but .... Why not get an A4 to sequence a CV capable Mono?

I love my A4
Cappy
I'd love to have both; unfortunately I only have funds for one. I'd have to scrape up some extra loot for the A4 and abstain from software purchases for awhile if I were to go that route. I went from an all hardware setup to working ITB with Reason (which I love). I miss having an actual analog synth so I want just one to keep that need satisfied. I've owned all the other Elektron devices before, except the UW version of the MD, so I have a bit of an idea of what the A4 has to offer. Based on Demos alone though, I'm finding the dark, distorted, growly, evil bass sounds of the Bass Station slightly more appealing.. but the A4 does have so much more going for it control wise.. there's my predicament
Cappy
My BSII arrived last night, and I must say - my mind is as blown as Steevy's! The first thing we always want to know is if it sounds good. This is always such a preference thing and I can't decide that for anyone but myself, so I won't go into that. All I can say is that I have Moog LP, DSI Evolver, A4 and Minibrute and this thing surely has something to say. Defintiely the "squelchiest" filter of the entire lot. The Osc Filter Mod is sick.

It is pretty feature packed for the size and price point it comes in at. 2osc + sub, 2LFO, 2 Filters, Aftertouch, patch memory, nice arp/sequencer, full size keys, can be usb powered, controls send midi ccs, etc. I got the $75 fall sale discount from Musician's bad friend, and if I can get Novation to honor the $50 rebate on top of that, I get all of that for $375. I'd say that beats out the Minibrute and ms20mini as far as bang for buck.

So yes, I absolutely love the BSII!! But I always have to gripe about something so....the plastic casing. This thing is so light, I bet the Minibrute triples it in weight. The knobs and envelope faders feel sturdy and the keys have a nice action with responsive aftertouch so the build quality is adequate where it counts, but the plastic casing is just so crappy and weightless. I guess Novation had to cut corners somewhere to keep the cost down.

Gripe #2: Just one more knob, please! I like how they saved space with the ON-Key settings. for example, Hold the funtion button and push middle C for "LFO2 Slew." The setting for this parameter is now shown on the screen. However, you have to use the buttons to button press to the setting you like. Yes, you can hold these buttons down for faster scrolling, but just ONE softknob by the screen would have made editing these ON-Key functions so much more tactile.

Thats it! overall, I would recommend the BSII to anyone! Each recommendation would not fail to mention the cheap plastic casing though...
Go to top Post Reply