As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear [A4] Controlling all 4 voices from a single keyboard? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: [A4] Controlling all 4 voices from a single keyboard?
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
[A4] Controlling all 4 voices from a single keyboard? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Hey I was just wondering if anyone does this? Is it easy to set each of the A4 voices to respond to a specific range of a midi controller keyboard for live play?
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Re:[A4] Controlling all 4 voices from a single keyboard? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Good question, however, since A4 is actually 4 mono synths rather than actually multi-timb, and poly is not implemented, my guess you would need to assign a different midi channel to each mono voice in your zoning/mapping; if that in fact is even possible. Then there's the only two outputs for four mono synths. Still learning my A4 so will be interested to see enlightenment on this.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
I guess I'd need a midi controller that can spit the keys over different midi channels then.

I know I can do that with my MPC1000 but I'm not sure is many standard MIDI controler keyboards can.
Chain Chomp
i'm doing this ipad thing which does poly dispatch for the a4, adding support for split layouts like this is actually a no brainer... stay tuned.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
void wrote:
i'm doing this ipad thing which does poly dispatch for the a4, adding support for split layouts like this is actually a no brainer... stay tuned.

Care to share the app you are using to accomplish this? Just ordered the new Behringer iStudio iS202 for iPad, which is like the older Alesis iODock on steroids and QuNexus as well. New to iPad thing and Waldorf Nave App will be first app and primary reason for these additions but again, if you would be so kind to share your method, would be appreciated.

QuNexus is supposed to be able to do a midi cc rotation as posted by Diane from Keith McMillen Instruments past week here relating specifically to MnM but is going to see if this too is possible with the A4.
tmt
Goomba
Chain Chomp
here's the OS X version: http://cl.ly/2c1Z321m2i22
this only exists so I can debug the iOS app more easily, which has been in the App Store review queue for a week now and should be available soon (I hope.. iOS 7 is coming out next week so hopefully this doesn't interfere).

for the OS X version you need 10.7 or higher. (For the iPad version, once it becomes available, you'll need the Camera USB adapter and a powered USB hub.)

in the A4 MIDI settings, parameter output has to be NRPN, and output channel has to be TRK CHN. If you do this, the app will have optional patch sync, i.e. if you tweak a knob on one track, it will be mirrored over to the other tracks. this can be enabled/disabled at any time.

so basically start with an empty kit (or copy a sound to all 4 tracks using TRACK BUTTON + COPY/PASTE) and tweak knobs while playing your keyboard, for poly awesomeness.

You can of course use the patch sync on a kit that's not intended for poly play, giving you sort of a FUNCTION+knob-tweak functionality from the Machinedrum.. nice for messing up kits.

you can choose which tracks should be used for polyphony or unison, means you can have poly keyboard rotation e.g. on tracks 2-4 while track 1 is independently playing a drums/bassline sequence or whatever. The parameter mirroring is only enabled for tracks which are poly-enabled.

the app does not have split zones yet, and it ignores the channels of the note input device.
it also doesn't transmit aftertouch, only CC messages.

otherwise it should be straightforward to use.. if there's anything going wrong, let me know!
Go to top Post Reply