As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear If you've traded a Tempest for MD-UW... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: If you've traded a Tempest for MD-UW...
King Koopa
If you've traded a Tempest for MD-UW... 10 Years, 7 Months ago
....is anything you really missed on the Tempest?

I've had mine for 1.5 years, gotten proficient at all the essentials, made some interesting sounds.... and am still not totally stoked over it. I'm sure it's just a matter of personal taste. I think maybe it's not -quite- what I wanted in a bigass drum machine, but the parameters and programmability convinced me it would prove to be an endless source of great percussion synthesis. Ok, it is all that, and a lot more. But I still am not in love with the thing.

The MD-s 12-bit factor was the deal-breaker for me, but now when I listen to some MD stuff, I feel that is the stuff I'm missing in a drum machine.

So what I should really do is wait until I can get an MD and have both, but if somebody walked in right now with an MD-UW of the same age and like-new condition and offered to make an even trade, it would be very tempting.

Just thinking out loud here. Let's hear your thoughts.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:If you've traded a Tempest for MD-UW... 10 Years, 7 Months ago
You may also want to look into the MFB Tanzbar
King Koopa
I've had both and really miss the UW. Tempest is a cool and fun instrument but I don't miss it very much.
King Koopa
shemp wrote:
You may also want to look into the MFB Tanzbar

I've been closely watching that. Probably would like having all three actually...
MD is a better machine than Tempest.
Goomba
I had a Tempest for quite a while after they were released. Ultimately, the limitations (at the time) overcame the sound of it and I sold it. I tried to love it - I really tried - but ultimately it just disappointed me in my expectations. However, a lot of people have taken to it and really do some neat stuff with it by "playing" it. That is, they use it as a dedicated instrument and don't just program sounds and sequences and let it run; they're constantly interacting with it as it's running, much like many people do with the MD. My thoughts on the MD so far is that you can use it that way, but you can also use it as a "standard drum machine" for accompaniment and it will still shine like no other.

In this sense, so far the MDUW is much more of what I was looking for. As I said above, if you approach the Tempest as a synthesizer that you play like a percussion sequencer, you might be happy with it. That said, my opinion is also that if you want the DSI sound, you can get yourself a Mopho, Tetra or the like and satisfy yourself that way.

Mind you, there have been plenty of updates to the Tempest OS since I sold mine, sooo ...

Would the MD work well in conjunction with the Tempest? I'm sure it would. But so would a lot of other options that are out there. If you're looking for an analog drum machine, my money would be to go for something more dedicated to that, such as the afore-mentioned Tanzbaer.
King Koopa
I had a MD, and really do miss it for somethings, but for playing live i really enjoy the hands on functions the tempest offers. I wont say one is better then the other, as i think they are both great, and have different strong points.
Id love to get a MD again, but when I do, it will stay in the studio, and the tempest would continue to be my main live drum machine.

s
Goomba
Watching your two videos in the silo, I can see what you mean and you also make my point: the Tempest is meant to be played, while the MD can go either way. You do great with the Tempest, N3wt!
King Koopa
My biggest complaints on the elektron units, is that if you edit any steps in a pattern, they become saved, and if you want to mute/unmute things, or change patterns, you need two hands.
These aren't problems to me in the studio, but for live use they really bother me, more so on the monomachine then the MD.

However on the tempest, i dont like that i can only have 16 patterns loaded, the distortion and compressor are not track assignable, and I wish I could do more in debth editing on the drum samples.
I traded my Tempest for a MD UW and I never regretted it for a second. It's better for the drumstuff I need. I was very dissapointed by OS development (or lack off it). Only thing I miss is instant pattern changes and pattern roll. If you still don't love the Tempest you should trade. One and a half year is long enough.
Go to top Post Reply