As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron
Goomba
Re:Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Poldenstein wrote:
Just a few months ago I was in a peaceful and boring digital world of lifeless virtual analogues and software sequencing. One day a friend came to me with a monotron. Had an analogue epiphany and in a week got me an a4, that delights me every day.

In my case, I blame Teenage Engineering's OP-1, which at the time I thought it was going to be the first and only hardware synth I was ever going to get (now I know that's how I fool myself into debt), and then Oplab… Dark Energy, OT, A4, Sub Phatty, Make Noise... But the OP-1 ended up paying the price of it, as I sold it to afford more modules.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Poldenstein wrote:
Another question for modular users.
Where did you get the insert cable (1/4 TRS jack to 2 1/8 mono jack) needed to use all four a4's CV outs? A suggestion on a good shop to buy cables from possibly in Europe would be much appreciated

When I first got the A4, I spent weeks looking for the perfect cable. I couldn't believe Elektron would produce something for which there exist no cable... one single cable, without the need for an adaptor... In the end, I resigned myself to buy two 1/8 stereo to 2x 1/8 mono (L/R), and use two 1/4 to 1/8 adaptors to connect the cables to the A4. It's perfect.
Goomba
Well, to be fair, it's a quite common cable: an insert cable, commonly used to patch insert fx (as, say, a compressor) in mixer channel strips. I already have one. Stereo jack to double mono. Problem is that it comes in 1/4 format. If you happen to use a 5U modular you don't even need adapters. But for eurocrack you need 1/8. Me too I was trying to avoid adapters, but I'm afraid I'll have to get a couple of 1/4 to 1/8 mono jack adapters, or try to solder the cable myself, but I guess 1/8 would be tricky for its tiny size..
Game & Watch
^ Definitely avoid using adapters on 1/8 or 3.5mm sockets, aside from possibly introducing jitter due to poor connection it will put way too much mechanical stress on the socket, and invariably lead to lifted traces or other damage, much better to solder some plugs yourself or get someone else to do it.

A while back I was making and selling leads but not many people were interested so I stopped doing them, I won't be doing them again, but would say that anyone using adapters from large plug to small socket is asking for trouble, if you must use an adapter then do it the way Blumenthal suggests at the A4 side, but even then you risk intermittent connection so possibly jittery pitch on your CV etc.
Goomba
Thanks darenager
What you said makes sense, I'll keep far from adapters.
Goomba
Re:Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Be warned: The amount of money you will want to pump into modular/euro is like being on drugs. You start working out ways to get money, any way, for those next set of modules that you NEED!

Also the sound of modular is not necessarily better. Yes its more flexible but so what if the oscillators don't call your name? If, for example, you ever want Moog bass, you are better off getting Moog bass.

I would recommend going really really slow. See if you actually like the sound of what you are buying.

Don't fall for the HYPE that everyone who is on the drug believes. IMO Modular/Euro is worse than your average gear lust. And I feel sorry for those who try to turn their whole setup into modular (like I did). In most cases modular will cost 10x as much to do the same thing and probably more work doing it.

For me personally its not as amazing as I thought it would be and my productively got less. I have still kept quite a bit though as its hard to let go of
Goomba
Re:Starting my first modular: it's all your fault Elektron 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Having said all that, there are still a couple modules that I want to buy (i have to buy......)
Goomba
Thanks for your advice Fewture.
I already went through a bad GAS syndrome when a was younger that eventually led me to loose interest in making music. I no longer have musical ambitions, and do not feel the urge to produce music. I can jam for hours without hitting record and not feel guilty about it.
So now,alas, I'm older and I hope wiser, and I mean to move in modular realm with ponderation.
That said I think that with modular it all depends on what one wants to get out from it.
If all one needs is a subtractive synth voice for tracking there are much cheaper options, but if you want, well, modularity, that is being able to send/receive everything to/from everywhere, be it audio or control signal, without any limitation to experiment, you pay for what you get.
I just started with a doepfer supply and rails and one single vco and I have many days of instant and ever renewing fun behind me. With just one single module. If you dare, you can hear me going crazy on it in the "post your music" section.
I cannot imagine how it would be with a bunch of them.
Go to top Post Reply