As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear 80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: 80s Analog Mono Hunt- help.
Boo
80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Outbid on a Moog Prodigy by an obvious bidding .bot, had my heart broken earlier.

Guy I contacted a few weeks ago about his SC Pro One is willing to go down to $1,100- but it isn't the J-wire keyboard and replacements are expensive ($300+) and rare.

Or I could just say screw it and get a Sub Phatty off Craig's List for $800 or a MS-20 mini for $550?

Or keep waiting out for a Prodigy (kinda have a soft spot for the synth because I grew up a huge Prodigy fan- Liam named the group after the Moog!).

Not a fan of the Moog Rogue at all.

Source's are too expensive (but AWESOME)

OR:

And this is the big question:

Should I just sell a bunch of crap and save up for one of the three real-deal vintage analogs I've always wanted:

Oberheim OB-X
Minimoog D
SH-101
Arp Odyssey

OR:

Any modern recommendations (like MFB/Doepfer and that ilk) for the mono that will blow my face off in the ENV/SUB OSC LPF department?
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:80s Analog Mono Hunt- help. 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Ah so many good choices.
What about the Prophet 08 ? I love mine, not sure how similar to the Pro 1 it would be.
The Sub looks interesting too.
Cappy
You should be able to pick up an SH101 for half the price of a pro-one - UK prices anyway...

So by the logic of your post, you can already afford one of those....
Cappy
love my ms 20 mini if thats any help. Super fun with the analog four. Never played a sub phatty but i would DEF be interested for 800. Id love an Sh 101, but honestly.... and please dont flame me for this guys, the ones ive seen recently are a bit overpriced and beat up. Id rather a bassstation2... (sweetwater 3 payments is like 160$/ a month)

Bassstation 2 sounds REALLY good, can do nice sequences, and I just have a soft spot for novation. Their cust serv. is top notch.
Roland SH09. Very similar to SH101 minus the sequencer. Significantly cheaper. Yamaha CS5-15.
Game & Watch
The Doepfer Dark Energy MK1 is a little gem for a single osc beefy sounding mono, the cool thing, aside from it being CEM chip based, is the linear FM of the VCF allows for some quite unique and powerful sounds, I think that they will become a sought after classic in a few years.

MS20 mini is great too, lots of fun for the money, some people complain about the noise but I don't mind it, may be a problem if you like quiet triangle/flute type sounds, but for squelchy basses and screaming leads or weirdo 'synth' sounds not really an issue IMHO.

Pro One is a killer synth, but unless you can get a great deal on one that has been serviced recently then your money might be better spent on something else, for example you could probably get a DE and MSmini for the same money, not the same thing but two killer synths in their own right, and of course you could inter patch them as well.
I'd concur with Daren above ^

I wish in a lot of ways I'd still got my DE mkI - amazing for the money.

I'd also agree that (don't flame me either ! ) SH101s are getting horribly overpriced...
yes they're a lovely synth ( I have one btw....) but they are pretty basic...they sound great & have 'that' 80s 'Roland' sound....but I think in terms of pure synthesis capability I'd take a DE all day long.

I think ( from what I''ve heard ) the Sub Phatty is actually really great sounding...& ditto the BassStation 2 also looks pretty cool.

Of course if you could stretch to a T.O SEM I'd do that...but that's just cause I adore the sound...
King Koopa
www.soundcloud.ch/opuswerk
www.opuswerk.ch

Kit:
MD MKII UW
Vermona MonoLancet
Vermona Retroverb MKI
uWave XT
MKS70
Strymon El Capistan
NI Maschine
I'd say the MonoLancet could be a great way of filling your monosynth lust.
Chain Chomp
Opuswerk wrote:
I'd say the MonoLancet could be a great way of filling your monosynth lust.

+1 for the mono lancet. Small, simple and full of fat sounds.
Cappy
not to "hijack" this thread or anything, but i heard there was a noticeable difference between the DE mk1 &2. Like the 1 was grittier or something. Is this true? Im thinking of going modular and going with some doepfer anywho, so a complete single voice wouldnt hurt. Anyone who can verify this difference?
Go to top Post Reply