As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear So i got an Airbase 99... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: So i got an Airbase 99...
Boo
So i got an Airbase 99... 10 Years, 8 Months ago
And all the rumors I've heard around here are true- it's the perfect compliment to the MD and the closest thing to a real 909 I've ever heard.

....BUT

When it first arrived (from Switzerland to LA- took A MONTH), my dumb ass forgot about the whole adapter problem. So for the first 5 hours I had it it wouldn't turn on. Luckily my neighbor who hordes elecronic stuff in his apartment had an old converter (that weighs about 10 pounds) and I got it on and was relieved that it both worked and sounded amazing (tuning the sounds and pressing the PLAY/MIDI button to sample them). But then I hooked up some MIDI cables to it....

I didn't do my homework about the firmware and it's not the latest version- I stayed up until 5 am trying sequence the goddamn thing and it's next to impossible. It would play a few kicks, I'd get all satisfied that I'd finally done it and then....nothing. The display would show it was receiving SOME CC- parameter changes, etc. But the actual triggers just didn't want to send. Got much further with it on the OT than the MD- but I went and bought the update Eproms on the 'Bay- thankfully only 25 bucks.

So close- yet so far!
  The topic has been locked.
Ink
Goomba
Re:So i got an Airbase 99... 10 Years, 8 Months ago
you're lucky you didn't fuck it up! though I guess giving it 110v when it's geared for 220v wouldn't be as destructive as doing it the other way round ... was considering buying a faulty xbase so I emailed jomox about estimated repair costs and they warned me explicitly about damage caused by using the wrong voltage pretty much kills the board. Obviously I guess... I passed on the unit.

hope you enjoy yours! I've wanted one for a long time
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply