As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Best hardware sequencer for a Fizmo. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Best hardware sequencer for a Fizmo.
Boo
Best hardware sequencer for a Fizmo. 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Recently lucked into a Fiz 'board for a great price on the 'Bay.

I'm looking for opinions about hardware sequencers.

I have an OT and an MD, but those are limited for a 48 voice polysynth, and I'm sure everyone is going to tell me to get an MnM, but what else?

I want a MIDIbox Seq v4 (and have people to build it), but the waiting list for the kit sucks.

So, any people with major hardware sequencer experience, please educate me.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Best hardware sequencer for a Fizmo. 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Damn, and i was going to say OT >.> You could go old school and layer 6 runs off an OT, but that could also be highly tedious

Either way congrats on the Fizmo (or is it FIZMO? never been sure.). I've always loved the idea, but never been able to let myself pull the trigger.
Cappy
I had no idea the fizmo had that many voices... damn!

Also what about an Alesis MMt-8? Can be had on the cheap now adays.

8 tracks * 16 channels of MIDI
Goomba
Ping I20 Irons The i20 irons attempts to satisfy that audience by utilizing a series of designs.

Australia golf online Following in the tradition of previous models the i20 is a cast golf club.

Ping G20 Irons Make the long irons forgiving and high-launching while blending.

Ping K15 Driver Not a bad introduction for PING's latest i-series offering.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Oh, so it was you bought that. I thought hard about it, I've got a soft spot for Ensoniq gear. Suggest an RM1x or MPC1000, depending on whether you like grid or pad sequencing. RM1x has a nice interface, great groove templates, great sequencer, and it can make sample food for the OT (ROMpler synth is pretty basic, but onboard FX are quite nice and you get a few hundred good quality pattern presets). MPC has pads, 32 tracks of MIDI sequencing, and can trigger other sounds, plus it also uses CF cards like the OT and multiple individual outs, but you'll have to pay more and you'll also want to spend $100 for JJOS.
Boo
Well, I went with both Grid and Pad sequencing- and made my living space smaller. Found an MV-8800 on the cheap ($400). I really have no clue about this thing except that it's a totally absurd piece of gear in the age of computers and controllers and MIDI interfaces. At first, i started to regret it- felt like my aversion to DAW work led me to drunkenly purchase a 400 version of my 2,000 laptop+a pad controller. However, the more I looked into the minimal information and YouTube vids of this commecial failure of a device, I realize it's an extremely powerful item with a learning curve around the same as a simpler DAW.

The 24 DB filters and FX section are probably worth 400 by themselves. The fact I can externally sequence gear that's running through my mixer then into the MVs FX and filters through the audio INs and then click one button to mix them down- it starts looking like a simplification to other complexities via a different complexity. Add in the ability to make myself feel like I looped right back to where I started with a VGA monitor and a mouse and 16 tracks to work with, we have one of the strangest purchases ive ever made.

Of course, I also traded my Push for an FS1R and got that FIZMO, basically giving myself 3 of the most difficult to use, commercially unsuccessful, but potentially powerful products in the known gear universe. I've never felt dread due to items I purchased with the intention of enjoying myself and creating new sounds- I have years of late nights ahead of me coming in the mail. What have I done?
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
A Cirklon would be perfect for the job. Could easily use all 48 voices at once if you so wished. It's quite expensive and there's a bit of a waiting list on that too though. But as far as sequencers go, I don't think you'll find one which covers more ground than the Cirklon. It's the control hub of my setup, even though I now have no less than ... wait for it, 6 sequencers! Haha.
Boo
Oh I sure would love one of those- but Im in the "really hard to use commercial failure"-phase of my gear purchasing.

I bought them all under market, at least. And I live in a LA- check Craig's list to see that I has the most packed swapaholic, gearslutty second hand market in America. I could unload all the crazy shit I just bought pretty easily. And then buy a Cirklon, and then trade that my For for a Spectralis and so on and so on until a giant gear black hole forms in my apartment, destroying the entire gear-galaxy.
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
RyanA4 wrote:
Oh I sure would love one of those- but Im in the "really hard to use commercial failure"-phase of my gear purchasing.

I bought them all under market, at least. And I live in a LA- check Craig's list to see that I has the most packed swapaholic, gearslutty second hand market in America. I could unload all the crazy shit I just bought pretty easily. And then buy a Cirklon, and then trade that my For for a Spectralis and so on and so on until a giant gear black hole forms in my apartment, destroying the entire gear-galaxy.

So what are you waiting for? Do it!
Chain Chomp
http://venndiagram.ca
Maschine
Monomachine SFX60+ Mk II
Machine SPS1-UW
Analog Four
Octoatrack
Nord Modular G1
Evolver
Korg Z1
Spectralis 2
I would have tracked down a yamaha QY700 Myself but i digress.
Go to top Post Reply