As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear sequential circuits Drum Traks (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: sequential circuits Drum Traks
Boo
sequential circuits Drum Traks 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Thinking of pulling the trigger here. Any users?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/3981002569.html
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Re:sequential circuits Drum Traks 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Go for it! It's got a very lazy feel but it's groove is undeniable. Good for sampling phrases to chop up or just using straight up. The six individual outputs make it flexible. The bassdrum, and I think the toms, use the two CEM3320 filter chips as part of their signal path. You can swap the EPROMs out easily by easily inserting zif sockets and for about $150 you can have a eprom erase/burning setup. You can make your own Linn, DX or custom 909 kits or whatever you wanted. Oberhiem DX is nearly the same machine as the drumtraks. They use the same code for samples on the EPROMs. DX has pitch trim pots on the backside of the unit for each instrument and is global across all kits, the drumtraks remembers pitch settings in each pattern, kinda like simple parameter locking. But the DX has sliders for volume of the drum channels where the traks is only one knob for all, a mixer setup works well to get around this caveat. Bassdrum EPROM on the DX holds more sample time than the traks though so a longer 808 type kik might be harder to achieve. Anyway, I would go for it if you wanted a cool drum machine for some funky sounding beats.
Boo
Yeah- the kicks will be no problem since I have an Airbase 99 and an MD.

Well, might just save some gear AND money and go for this instead of the SP 1200 I was just offered in trade. Wanted that to be the 3rd part of my percussion set-up, but I have to give up A LOT to get it.
King Koopa
In terms of groove and sound, the SP1200 has it so I would deff go with that option over the traks if given the choice between the two. Install Hxc and you're off! I got a drumtraks that's been sitting in the case for a while but about to get going again for a techno machine.
Boo
octatrack, prophet 08, minibrute, SEM, RS-09, A4, Zed 14
i think that's Robert from //Tense//'s drum tracks. he's a good dude, if you decide to pull the trigger.
I had a drum tracks once upon a time - loved it. The sound of the samples was just so warm ... And it had a real groove to it - perfect for house techno and hiphop.
I had a box full of EPROMS for it too & the 909 kick and snare werejust awesome.
If you use the separate outs for processing it's full of win.
Boo
*sigh*

I just pulled the trigger on a Fizmo when I had no plans to own one (even though I really WANT one), but the guy had no clue what he was selling, got it for $750!

Have a bid on a Microwave XT that I might win.

And I'm doing a combo trade/sale for an SP1200 and modding it with an HxC.

I think I finally am starting to feel like I've lost my mind.

I could be a heroin addict and just throw all the money away! RIGHT GUYS? THAT'S A SOLID JUSTIFICATION!

The other justification is that I could always sell those 3 pieces of gear for either what I bought them for or even more. So they're fun AND and investment!!!!!
Boo
I used 1 of these in the late 80's almost swapped it for a 909 but I lusted after the DMX
.............by the way PRINCE did not use this
it is a great drum machine sound wise and is still used in the UK amongst the Broken Beat Clans
and at that price its a steal if in good condition
Cappy
I got one of these in...very used condition...about a year ago for about 100€.
It's not that much fun to program on it's own, but the OT midi sequencer takes care of that.
Mind that it responds on ALL midi channels and has no midi through, so it has to sit at the end of the midi chain (if...just if...there's a chain at all )

In my opinion the bassdrum and especially the toms are pretty great along with the claps.
The crash sound pitched down all the way is pure downsampling bliss, it just tells you a story of noise and wash...

I don't think there's a way to change the pitch of the individual sounds via midi cc,
but it responds to velocity.

It's big and heavy and easy to open.
The individual outs are fun.
The circuit board says: may peace prevail on earth

This one seems to be in a very good condition and it's well worth the 550$ if you're into it's sound.
Go to top Post Reply