As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Blofeld or Nord Lead 2x - For PADS (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Blofeld or Nord Lead 2x - For PADS
King Koopa
Blofeld or Nord Lead 2x - For PADS 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I want to get a cheap-ish module for poly pad duties. I've decided to go with either a Blofeld or a Nord Lead 2x. Just wondered if anyone that uses both can offer any thoughts on a comparison purely from a sonic stand point (hardware specs not an issue)

Cheers!
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:Blofeld or Nord Lead 2x - For PADS 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I can´t separate sonics and operativity apart...blofeld is more diverse sonicwise but it´s a pita to edit so I´d go with the NL2x anyday for both sound design and performance...

Also the blofeld has very poor multitimbral operation while the nord couldn´t be more easy and straightforward...you can layer patches very easy in the same or different MIDI channels

The nord could need a good reverb/delay to make more expansive sounds. I use the EHX cathedral that combine both and it´s excellent for the task
King Koopa
Thanks Anselmi.
I suppose you're right not separating sonics from operation as a shit UI can totally ruin the whole experience.
King Koopa
I think i'll get the Blofeld for the time being. Long term i'm hoping to pick up a Nord Lead 4 but as my current set up stands (Slim Phatty, A4, OT & Xoxbox) i think the broader range of sounds will be more beneficial.

Thanks again.
King Koopa
I would look into any recent blofeld updates. I had one last year and while it sounds great, the syncing of external clock was sometimes a pain. The arp was very buggy specifically.

I ended up trading mine for an evolver. Are you using these with a computer or in an external hardware rig? I also had a nord lead 2 when I was younger and wish I never sold it. Both are great pieces of gear over all, but I enjoyed the nord more.

Either will be great for pad duty though, although you could probably get similar results from a few different iPad apps these days.
Game & Watch
you better look for a waldorf microwave xt instead
King Koopa
anselmi wrote:
you better look for a waldorf microwave xt instead

In general i'm not that keen on the Waldorf sound, except for pads, so perhaps the XT would be wasted on me. Can't actually afford one either.

I think the Blofeld is more than adequate for what i need.
King Koopa
Ihatederekreed wrote:
I would look into any recent blofeld updates. I had one last year and while it sounds great, the syncing of external clock was sometimes a pain. The arp was very buggy specifically.

I ended up trading mine for an evolver. Are you using these with a computer or in an external hardware rig? I also had a nord lead 2 when I was younger and wish I never sold it. Both are great pieces of gear over all, but I enjoyed the nord more.

Either will be great for pad duty though, although you could probably get similar results from a few different iPad apps these days.

I'm using the OT as sequencer.

Arps aren't an issue as i play everything myself. Although lfo midi sync is important.

My requirements are quite simple really. I don't actually need multitimbral operation. My music's quite simple & minimal - any crazyness will be handles by the OT & effects. I just need the right sounds to fit with my other gear, not too much overlap.

I will get a Nord eventually but there's something about the pads sounds on the Blofelds Alien Vanguard soundset that give it the edge over the Nord.

I do appreciate all your advice though. I've got a few days to change my mind, so watch this space
Cappy
I have the Blofeld Desktop and I absolutely love it. I have just about every VST softsynth you can imagine along with a ton of iPad synths, the Teenage Engineering OP-1 and up until a week ago I had a Prophet 08 desktop as well (took the Prophet back to get the Octatrack) and the Blofeld is without a doubt my go to for anything Polyphonic (for the last month or so). The Wavetable stuff just sounds great IMO.And it ships with 1000 patches. As for it's editing I find it to be very intuitive. Sure, there are menus you'll need to navigate but the major parameters that you'll most often use are set up so that you can get to them quickly. Blofeld's modulation Matrix kills anything that I could find in it's price range....and for me the mod matrix is the highlight of Blofeld. At $500 USD for the desktop, considering everything you get with it, Blofeld was a no brainer for me.

To be fair, I have heard a lot of good things about the Nord.

If you decide to go with the Blo....check out Waldorf's website and look for OS 1.16 (or something like that) it's a beta, it's solid and gets you up to speed also takes care of bugs from earlier versions. Also hit up Gearslutz if you want more info,....there are a butt load of Blofeld users over there.

Best wishes.
Goomba
Cheap g15 hybrid PING G15 Hybrid is perfect for mid-high handicap golfers, while the clean ...

Golf clubs for sale Utilizes lightweight materials and features progressive weight

K15 Irons for sale longest hybrid ever. The unique shape of the stainless steel hybrid

ping rapture v2 irons TFC 149H Shaft: Premium graphite shaft designed by PING
Go to top Post Reply