As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear MFB Tanzbaer (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MFB Tanzbaer
Cappy
MFB Tanzbaer 10 Years, 8 Months ago
So apparently the MFB Tanzbaer is ready for shipment now.

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/TANZBAER/tanzbaer.html

I'm pretty stoked about it... having heard the demo, I'm almost positive I'm going to pick it up.

https://soundcloud.com/mfb-instruments/mfb-tanzb-r-preset-pattern-1-2

It's a more rugged and versatile version of the MFB 522 (which I really love but could never justify buying).

Anyone else eyeing the Tanzbaer?

I might be selling my MachineDrum and replacing it with it (yes, I know it's not as versatile as the MachineDrum, but I think for my purposes it will work great).

One thing I really love is the apparent immediacy of the Tanzbaer. Not having a LCD screen with menus makes me happy. Although, I will contradict myself slightly and wish the tempo had a read out, but again, will most likely be syncing it with the A4 or Ableton.

I'd love to hear people's first hand experiences, if anyone picks it up. I'm a little cautious to buy a brand new product and usually wait for it to be out for a bit to allow the bugs and real limitations expose themselves through reviews.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Re:MFB Tanzbaer 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Did a post about those pretty great demos the other day.

Yup. I'm going to get it. It's going to go alongside my MD. I've been using a 707 for the vintage flavor for the last few years along with sometimes a 606. But Tanzbar will definitely take over those duties I think. At least for now.

It's sounds great, it's analog and doesn't have menus to deal with (the reason why I never considered a Tempest to sit next to my MD). Can only deal with one of those at a time.

I think I'll replace those horrible oversized wood end caps though. So disproportionate.
Cappy
Ha yeah I did a search to see if anyone posted about it already, but didn't see yours because of the spelling difference...

Be sure to report back after you get it!

How do you imagine you'll use it alongside the MD? What role do you think the MD will take for your setup?
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
orangehexagon wrote:
Ha yeah I did a search to see if anyone posted about it already, but didn't see yours because of the spelling difference...

Be sure to report back after you get it!

How do you imagine you'll use it alongside the MD? What role do you think the MD will take for your setup?

Ah yeah I did an ä in my spelling.

As per usual in my workflow. The MD is my master clock and will still be the center piece drum machine, I think the Tanzbär will be the compliment. That's not to say that it won't be the main sounds sometimes. I just usually start with the MD and these days add syncopation, etc with the 707/606.

707 has a very specific groove and swing and really adds a nice element to my MD patterns. Basically instant JACK. I'm wondering if I'll miss it with a more 808 styled machine.

Guess I can always use three!

Goomba
Re:MFB Tanzbaer 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Just got mine yesterday sounds good. Give me some time to program and record and ill post some more samples. I posted this on gearslutz

Love the kicks, snare, claps. Didn't like the toms as much these are like 808 Tom, I just prefer the 909 type toms. The base from the kicks and low toms is great. it can go to infinite, though the controls are set up more for drums so you don't get the really long bases till turning the decay to about 80 - 100 %. That makes dialing in long basses a little tougher. The 523 sounds goods with the fx I tried.

One thing I noticed that i was not able to do with other drum machines is that the two kicks you can layer with no or little phase issues. So you can use the front of the first kick (503) and then layer the second kick with it and controll the bass for some cool combo kicks.

The pramater locks seem to work more like jomox 999/888 style than elektron . But I find it a bit easer than jomox .i have to use it more to get all the ins and outs of this .

One strange thing is the timing on the main stereo outs play before the individual out by1-2 ms. I am going into a fire face 800 and the tanzbar/523 is just receiving midi clock . Don't know if it's my unit or something wrong with set up but ill investigate further .

here is a quick demo of the combo kick i was talking about

https://soundcloud.com/kawa/tanzbar-combo-bdrum/s-ShPrq

nothing musical here just a MFB Tanzbar demo. this is a combo of Bdrum 1 and 2 on the 4s with high hat and one tom. I just go through settings like decay act. kick drum 2 has no attack, and i used kick drum 1 for the attack. no FX or eq use just normlized out of ableton recorded with rme fire face 800.

Planning on trying these four Tempest, Jomox mbase11, Analog4, and Tanzbar for a live set.
Boo
Re:MFB Tanzbaer 10 Years, 6 Months ago
I like what I've heard from the Tanzbaer demos, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the TRS outputs. I can understand wanting to save space/costs on the individual outs, but it seems odd that I would be forced to use a y-cable for the main L/R outs.

For those who have one, how are you recording it?
Boo
Im very curious how the sound of the kicks compare to the DRM1 MKIII. Layering kicks on the DRM1 sounds great and must be pretty tough to beat. Though the Tanzbar looks like it has less pitch range and therefore will be easier/quicker to dial in the desired pitch.

EDIT : Just listened to the demo. Thanks peoplemuver.
Game & Watch
lotus-eater wrote:
I like what I've heard from the Tanzbaer demos, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the TRS outputs. I can understand wanting to save space/costs on the individual outs, but it seems odd that I would be forced to use a y-cable for the main L/R outs.

Y-cable for the main L/R? this is a weird design decision for sure...kinda annoying
Cappy
anselmi wrote:
lotus-eater wrote:

Y-cable for the main L/R? this is a weird design decision for sure...kinda annoying

Same on their other drum synths. I can't see why its a problem myself??
It's a problem because you can't remove just one instrument from the main mix, you always remove both. Like for example, if you wanted to add FX to just the cowbell, the clave would be removed from the main mix as well, requiring you to spend a mixer/soundcard channel if you wanted the clave to be audible.

It's not the worst thing in the world, and it won't stop me from buying one, but it is quite annoying.
Go to top Post Reply