As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Recording every single MIDI event (MD+A4) to a DAW? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Recording every single MIDI event (MD+A4) to a DAW?
Recording every single MIDI event (MD+A4) to a DAW? 10 Years, 10 Months ago
So my 4 week holiday started this weekend (wohoo!), and I plan to spend some of it learning my setup better. One of the things I really want is to make track-by-track recordings of my Elektron gear, but due to the Song mode's inability to record a jam and save that as a "song", I'm hoping I can do this in software? Meaning, if I run the MD for a while, tweaking some stuff here and there, and then have the DAW or MIDI-software record everything that happened, MIDI-wise? In turn this would mean that I then could record each individual track on the MD/A4, track by track by simply playing back the MIDI-recording? Or am I just dreaming here...

..Oh and Elektron: a record-to-song-mode function would be really, really nice
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:Recording every single MIDI event (MD+A4) to a DAW? 10 Years, 10 Months ago
TrondC wrote:
So my 4 week holiday started this weekend (wohoo!),

4 Weeks!! Student?
ipassenger wrote:
TrondC wrote:
So my 4 week holiday started this weekend (wohoo!),

4 Weeks!! Student?

nope, but where I work we all have to take 4 weeks in the summer (we are closed), no days off for the rest of the year tho
Boo
I remember trying this some time ago... Didn't quite work.

For one, kit reloads are not recorded. Also, if I am remembering correctly, the current parameter levels are not transmiitted, only the parameter changes. So if you don't turn the knobs, nothing is sent out you only have the midi data of the changes, i.e. cc33 goes from 0 to 64, but there is no starting point recorded. It is hard to reconstruct the performance this way. There is also MIDI delays and all that.

Initially I wanted to record all my knob turning to Ableton and then sequence MD from Abletion, which should be possible in theory. It did not work for me.
Maybe an easier way would be to just try to record using as many individual outs as possible into individual inputs of the soundcard, and then later 'overdub' the rest in a live fashion.. Really a pity that the A4 does not have 4 audio outputs...
Boo
Yep, that's what the consensus is. Individual outs will be mono and won't be affected by the global effects effects, tho.
z01d wrote:
Yep, that's what the consensus is. Individual outs will be mono and won't be affected by the global effects effects, tho.

Yup, so anything that does not go though the onboard FX can go to individual outs, then just record other things in turn through the main outs. Can't wait to spend the whole day recording a 6-minute track
Game & Watch
^^ lol.

Always used to do it this way, now I just dont bother, record in groups or stereo master, still if you want stuff release standard suppose you have to do it the hard way.. most of the time.
Go to top Post Reply