As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Site Suggestions IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE
Admin
Re:IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE 10 Years, 9 Months ago
^ Admission on my part: I was just assuming that they want to keep it inhouse, as I've never seen any communication implicating otherwise. Ryan/Actuel was heavily involved in the startup, but naturally things changed when he got sick.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
neilbaldwin wrote:
Considering the likely combined talents on this forum and the willingness for many people to help to get the new forum off the ground finally, Elektron's reluctance to take advantage of that help seems a little shortsighted. Especially when you think of how long it's actually supposed to be in development. Forums don't take months to set up they take days.

Elektron have most likely been busy promoting the A4 and without doubt plotting planning and creating there next box for our enjoyment.

In all seriousness though the fact that the new forum will not be community/ user driven could be to its own detriment.

Is there or perhaps will there be a need for a User driven sight do you think?

If there were I would be interested in looking into the funding side of such an endeavour.
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
I definitely remain optimistic of the new Elektronauts but I feel that Nein may have a point.
Obviously, anything is too early to call now but I think it's worth being wary either way.

Can't wait to see the next page. This place has been so awesome, I couldn't imagine the 'net without it!
tIB
Boo
Given how this place has been looked after in the last year I'd much rather any new site was user driven. In an ideal world it would carry on here, with some changes to the current configuration. I'm not sure that is possible though; it was never clear to me whether HQ couldn't work on the current forum once they got the admin account or wouldn't, as they wanted to out the time into the new forum. I'm amazed it has taken so long to set that up.
Chain Chomp
tIB wrote:
Given how this place has been looked after in the last year I'd much rather any new site was user driven. In an ideal world it would carry on here, with some changes to the current configuration. I'm not sure that is possible though; it was never clear to me whether HQ couldn't work on the current forum once they got the admin account or wouldn't, as they wanted to out the time into the new forum. I'm amazed it has taken so long to set that up.

If it aint broke dont fix it. (its only broken because of Kitchen Spam of course)

Can this place not be given a facelift, polish added security etc etc and carry on as is (sort of with a few updates blah blah blah). Why not ?
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
Firstly hats off to Nils for getting the ball rolling again on this issue!
2nd, the issue of whether or not its community lead or policed by Elektron opens up many questions.
In the early (exploratory) days a community based forum worked beautifully but a lot has changed.
Vast archives of info need managing, the search engine needs work, obvious issues with spam, the odd occasion when a member may require a slapped wrist, all take a lot of work & who amongst us has he time?

I for one would hate to see this forum go! It as been home for a number of years & has something special, an atmosphere, vibe, call it what you want, that I've not encountered elsewhere!

I figure the best bet is to see what Elektron can deliver & if there's a lot of unhappy folks maybe look at starting a fresh!

Lastly, in defence of Elektrons unenviable position, this is essentially a private fan club set up by admirers of their products! It's not really part of their business plan. I think for a small company, producing quality new products, maintaining back catalog, dealing with customer issues,repairs, R&D, marketing etc. It's a very brave move to take on a forum too.
Chain Chomp
BlueWolfSe7en wrote:
, all take a lot of work & who amongst us has he time?

any forum members that dont have kids probably.
tIB
Boo
BlueWolfSe7en wrote:

Lastly, in defence of Elektrons unenviable position, this is essentially a private fan club set up by admirers of their products! It's not really part of their business plan. I think for a small company, producing quality new products, maintaining back catalog, dealing with customer issues,repairs, R&D, marketing etc. It's a very brave move to take on a forum too.

Works both ways though- we have also been their marketing, customer support and ideas bank amongst other things.
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
tIB wrote:
[b]

Works both ways though- we have also been their marketing, customer support and ideas bank amongst other things.

This is very true. As has been well documented in these pages, the OT was born out of Elektron Users creative use of the MD.

β€œThe Best for the Group comes when everyone in the group does what's best for himself AND the group.”
 John Nash
tIB
Boo
Indeed!
Go to top Post Reply