As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Site Suggestions IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE
Admin
IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hello all.

First a little backdrop: As most you know elektron-users has had yet another spam invasion lately. There have been several waves during the last couple of years, and the forum is not equipped to handle this spam.

Elektron announced elektronauts.com in late 2011, due to be launched in 2012. This is a new, Elektron-driven forum, as opposed to elektron-users, which is community-driven. For reasons partly unknown, the deadline has been pushed several times. At the same time, Elektron have refused doing significant improvements and upgrades to elektron-users, as they've wanted to focus their energy on the new forum.

Aa a result, frustration with elektron-users has been increasing, to the point were moderators have quit, and users have stopped coming here. Personally I've found it depressing to watch one man's labor of love deteriorate into a spam litter box.

So, I was in contact with Elektron yesterday, basically saying that somthing needs to be done about the situation. This is what they said:

First of all, elektronauts status - internal testing of the new forum will start next week. After that, betatesters will get access, and from then on 5-6 weeks will pass before the forum in its finished form can be opened to the public. Don't count on it to arrive earlier

Second, to handle the spam flood short term without putting in too much work,
Elektron has disabled the register/signup function. Not an ideal solution, I know, but personally I find that to be less of a problem than rendering the forum useless from spam floods. If Elektron manage to keep their time frame, new users can join in 6-7 weeks.

If they can't keep this time frame, be sure to let them know...

And be sure to bump this thread, so that the information is passed on to as many users as possible.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:IMPORTANT - FORUM FUTURE 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Thanks for the update on this Nils.
tIB
Boo
Thanks for the update Nils, and appreciate the legwork. Hope you are well.
King Koopa
Much appreciated ; )
That´s super news and I´m very happy to hear that they posted a deadline too.

Thumps Up!
cracking work super-Nils !

long time no speak & all that - hope you're good & many many thanks again for all your hard work.

PS vibes to the late, great Actuel
MCL
Boo
+1 to all the above, good news.
Admin
@ Tib and Xmit - long time no sound, mates! I'm ok

Also big thank you's to all those who have offered to help out with programming etc. It's much appreciated, and a symbol of the greatness of this forum. However, it seems Elektron want to keep the development of the new forum inhouse.
*EDIT: I'm only basing this assumption on the fact that I haven't seen anything indicating otherwise.

Ringo - About the deadline, I think it's more of an estimate. However, if there are more delays, we should let Elektron know we're waiting eagerly
Nils wrote:
However, it seems Elektron want to keep the development of the new forum inhouse.

Maybe that's the crux. isn't the success of this forum because it's community/user driven?
Considering the likely combined talents on this forum and the willingness for many people to help to get the new forum off the ground finally, Elektron's reluctance to take advantage of that help seems a little shortsighted. Especially when you think of how long it's actually supposed to be in development. Forums don't take months to set up they take days.

Go to top Post Reply