As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear iPad user opinions on workflow (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: iPad user opinions on workflow
Cappy
Re:iPad user opinions on workflow 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Just thought I'd add in a little discovery I made recently: you do not need an iDevice to integrate your iPad into your workflow.

I'm running an old Alesis MultiMix8 (with USB 1.1) and a USB/midi adaptor into a powered USB hub, which goes out to the iPad via the CCK. With this setup, I can run audio into the mixer to sample in Samplr, use Lemur as a midi controller, and play or sequence my iOS synths with my external gear from the same connection. Yesterday I was experimenting with using an acoustic guitar via Midimorphosis to play parts on the MNM.

It isn't as elegant as some of the dock solutions out there, and I can't charge ipad in this setup. However: 1) it works, which doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of the things marketed for the iPad, 2) there isnt really much on the market to work with the ipad 4 anyhow, and 3) it gives me one slight advantage over a more desirable solution like the iConnectMidi4+ in that I don't need a computer to pass audio in or out of my setup.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Really cool solution! No, nothing has to be "elegant" but like you, I did not want to be slaved to having to run signal through my PC and DAW in order to use my iPad2, and with the iS202 I have not had the need to do that due to fact I primarily record audio rather than midi but when that is needed for say, some DAW automation, at least it's there.
King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
I have had the is202 for about 5 months now. Works well, audio quality better than the headphone out and compact / reliable. Midi works great and sysex abilities make the alesis dock seem half baked for midi applications.

Before this I used the cck with a hub connected to a sound card and midi interface. Yah it worked but felt so dicky and unprofessional. I hated that the cck would fall out of the ipad 3 at the slightest movement, and having USB cables going everywhere wasn't pretty. Plus no ability to charge ipad while in use.

My only (non audio) based gripe with the istudio is that they included a composite video out, which works fine, but really should have been a hdmi adaptor instead.
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Good to hear! Behringer has the midi and sysex experience under them with the BCR and that too was important to me because Alesis may have made some good products in past, after the Andromeda Analog Synth, what followed were indeed innovative synths such as the Ion and Fusion, but the midi, sysex, and NRPN end of things was and is left a bit incomplete.
Last night my iPad 2 decided it was time to update to iOS 7 when I was connected to iTunes and it made me even happier knowing went with iS202 because do not know how quick IN-MUSIC, the parent company of Alesis, Akai, Numark even update their software.
Cool thing about Behringer is it does not require a driver or software other than the iPad itself.

Yeah, the composite video outs could have been HDMI but am thinking that either would have made it more expensive or longer road than it already took in acquiring official Apple Certification, of which, they are still awaiting Apple Certification for their iS202L for iPads with Lightening connector and by the way, THAT dock will be exactly LIKE one we have BUT will NOT have any video out option, so *at least it's there* but honestly do not see a scenario where I will use it but again, nice to have that option.
Go to top Post Reply