As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear iPad user opinions on workflow (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: iPad user opinions on workflow
Re:iPad user opinions on workflow 10 Years, 10 Months ago
for me Ipad is really useful.
I hate computer but not Ipad, i don't have to wait 5 minutes before start making music...

of course there's some great synth like magellan, animoog, Imini, ...
but there's also useful app like the sequencer genome, powerfull and simple or an app like midi designer which let you "create" your own midi controller for your elektron boxes.
and like Tarekith, i'm using a lot Auria to record sounds and the only thing missing with that daw it's midi, but apparently it's comming very soon.

the ipad with real hardware is a great combination
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:iPad user opinions on workflow 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Another iPad user here. 4th gen.

I have mine hooked up to a Roland duo ex interface. I send midi clock into it (and the rest of my rig) from an Acme-4.
Audio outputs from the duo ex into the mixer. Very cool sound quality. There are some great synth apps, Animoog, Alchemy, Thor, Sunrizer, Nave (to name a few). Add audiobus to that and start pinging stuff through Turnado, things get interesting. This is all stuff I do in Ableton regularly. iPad lets me take that setup anywhere.

New to the iPad is again Sugar Bytes Thesys midi sequencer. I run that as a VST and its very powerful.

Auria multitrack is due (imminent...this week??) to have midi clock introduced as a pre release before full blown midi. That's big.

If you have the right interface (Auria website has a comprehensive list of tested interfaces) you could have a whole bunch of clocked hardware running into Auria and be recording seperate tracks all synced (assuming a later iPad. Later the better).

I havent bought the Auria app yet as i've been waiting for the addition of clock, although have followed its every improvement.

Up till now ive been using 2x Zoom R24's for 16 track simultanious recording. That'll change very soon.

If you want a "driver and computer free " (iPad isnt a computer really is it!!...you know what I mean ) recording environment with some good synths and effects, midi clock and decent midi sequencers its worth a serious look.

OS 7 due this Autumn looks as though it will push the audio side of things further.

Remember though you need to make the right interface choice, it needs to be class compliant (no drivers required) .That could get expensive if you need a lot of ins.
Plus the issue of thunderbolt v's 30 pin adaptors v Camera Connection Kits v Itunes v all that other crap to deal with with Apple, if you can cut through all that, its a serious tool now. No longer the toy from a couple of years ago.

Oh and I can use Lemur to control Ableton.........nice

Cheers
D
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Re:iPad user opinions on workflow 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Just a heads up, Auria is half-price today only. I was waiting for either Auria or Cubasis to go on sale, and Auria has, so I picked it up on the iStore. I like it so far, seems well designed to me.
Game & Watch
Hmm, anyone using the LE version, I only need 8 tracks let alone 24 or 48! Is the LE version worth getting? It also seems to be half price today.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Yes, definitely worth getting, you can always upgrade IAP if you need the full version too.
Goomba
I must say I am tempted. I like music apps. Some synth app are gorgeous, and the touch interface for sequencing has a lot of potentialities - but I have yet to find the perfect iOS midi sequencer.
But.. Multitracking on an ipad? Memory on ipad is not exactly cheap, and impossible to expand. And the CPU for me is not up to the task. I am afraid that after some few tracks it will be all cracks and pops.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I think you're underestimating how powerful an iPad is. I did my last EP using just Auria on an iPad4, averaged about 12-14 stereo 24bit tracks, never had single issue with dropouts or crackling. The real slow down is the graphics, navigating slows a bit once you get above 12-14 tracks, but the audio still works fine.
Goomba
Thanks all, for the opinions, really useful.

ipad lost out to A4 this time around - no regrets, I'm having an absolute ball.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Just a warning re: Auria (although I haven't tried any of this yet): it supports Midi control/sync/clock, but not midi sequencing of plugins. Cubasis does support full midi seq I believe. I mostly wanted an audio sequencer for the iPad, so it fit the bill.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
poonti wrote:
Just a heads up, Auria is half-price today only. I was waiting for either Auria or Cubasis to go on sale, and Auria has, so I picked it up on the iStore. I like it so far, seems well designed to me.

Thanks for the heads up! Tarekith, after reading your blog review, sounds like 12 bucks = worth a try.
Go to top Post Reply