As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan
Game & Watch
Re:Korg Volcas launched, on sale in Japan 10 Years, 9 Months ago
^ Somewhat agree, but the portability/instant fun factor is probably the main draw for these, this kind of instrument has its own niche I think.

Have to say though as yet I remain unimpressed with the Volca bass sound, none of the demos have convinced me, the drum one though sounds really nice I think, and the keys seems more interesting than it first did to me.

The beats is certainly the most interesting for me, I like the sound of the kick and toms and the retrig thing looks fun. But people buying them expecting a 808, 303 and monopoly will probably ensure a healthy second hand market
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
I think the bass unit kicks ass. I know that it doesn't have that 303 sound, but I still think it's as funky as all hell. Looks like korg have nailed the portamento groove. As much as I love my A4 (and I *really* do), I think the implementation of note slides lets it down a bit. I'm getting a volca bass and its going to be so much fun to rock 3 (!!) polyrhythmic bass lines along side the A4 in a club! That being said, I tend to look at my gear from a "what can it do live" point of view.I really hope the functionality and price of these Volcas gets more people away from laptop lives and into some actual knob twisting. Also, as we all know, analog circuitry is scientifically proven to heal the soul. And get chicks to dance. And god knows the world needs more of that.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
The videos start coming through
http://youtu.be/c1y-xxycoOI
Game & Watch
boboter wrote:
@Anselmi
No, you're not the only one. I tried out the Volcas at Musikmesse and think they are great for the price. But I would buy never them. Way too limited to really use them when you already got some decent gear. And too expensive to just have them lying around in the living room.

my thoughts exactly ...
and I didn´t like the MS-20 mini either

Chain Chomp
Check out Jogging House at
soundcloud
tumblr
bandcamp
facebook
^ haha, me neither...
anselmi wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that is not worth to spend money in this things?
I mean, At least in my situation I got a healthy number of analog synths of all kind and sound, so adding just more stuff in the same league seems to be overkill

and the sound is what you paid for...I better save and invest in someting better

If you want something completely different then three small analog devices go for these:
http://vimeo.com/66202532

Also same pricerange
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
REOvolt wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that is not worth to spend money in this things?
I mean, At least in my situation I got a healthy number of analog synths of all kind and sound, so adding just more stuff in the same league seems to be overkill

and the sound is what you paid for...I better save and invest in someting better

If you want something completely different then three small analog devices go for these:
http://vimeo.com/66202532

Also same pricerange

Yeah, that microgranny looks cool. The Octatrack should really have a granular type effect. I agree with you two guys, though, I'll try not to get tempted to get the Volcas, even though they look like fun.
Chain Chomp
skab wrote:
I think the bass unit kicks ass. I know that it doesn't have that 303 sound, but I still think it's as funky as all hell. Looks like korg have nailed the portamento groove. As much as I love my A4 (and I *really* do), I think the implementation of note slides lets it down a bit. I'm getting a volca bass and its going to be so much fun to rock 3 (!!) polyrhythmic bass lines along side the A4 in a club! That being said, I tend to look at my gear from a "what can it do live" point of view.I really hope the functionality and price of these Volcas gets more people away from laptop lives and into some actual knob twisting. Also, as we all know, analog circuitry is scientifically proven to heal the soul. And get chicks to dance. And god knows the world needs more of that.

Yeah, at this point, I'm only interested in the performance aspects of electronic instruments and what progress I (and others) can make there. But I think synths have sounded good since 1950 and have generally only gotten better, while the interface has been a rocky road.

I don't care about the roland sound, but those boxes nailed the intuitive performance and playing aspects. (even if it was a fluke!)

The bass and keys are exciting me in how they use multiple voices that can merge and split. This potentially opens up some neat interactions that are intuitively possible among players of "real" instruments, but when working with patterns, arps and electronic sequences, it requires much more planning.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Anselmi and boboter, the difference is that you can put one of the volas in your coat pocket or backpack and play it on the bus/beach/wherever.
Game & Watch
anigbrowl wrote:
Anselmi and boboter, the difference is that you can put one of the volas in your coat pocket or backpack and play it on the bus/beach/wherever.

I know, and it´s OK for some people! I don´t want to sound like a hater, just stating my point and wanting to know if there is other people thinking the same

I was playing go and back with the volcas...you hear them read the features and see the price...and wow! you think it´s a deal you can´t refuse! but after rethink the situation you realized that it´s just money spent in just another analog synth that is no better than the ones you already own!

I don´t need such a thing for my studio and, honestly, when I go live I don´t care to carry on a bigger setuf if it sounds better
Go to top Post Reply