As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Top Producer last 10 years (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Top Producer last 10 years
Chain Chomp
Top Producer last 10 years 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Given that I live in the past really (not entirely but mostly) circa 93-98 and all Techno I have a question.

Who do you lovely forum members think is the most original, prolific, consistent and basically "Dope" producer of the last 10 years. By that I mean all of the last 10 years (not a producer who has just been on the scene for say the last 3 years). Looking for consistency here.

From a Techno point of view I cant think of anyone who has been thoroughly consistent and prolific for the whole of the last 10 years.

I dunno.

Some not Techno

Four Tet perhaps
James T Cotton maybe

Anyway I would be interested to read your thoughts.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:Top Producer last 10 years 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Burial.

The first time I heard Burial's music I felt like I was hearing something really "new." Yes, his style is an amalgamation of styles, but it's like he internalized so much of music in the last 20 years and then created something that celebrated it in a completely fresh voice.
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
It's hard to pick one, but for me they'd be out of
Actress, Shackleton, Flying Lotus, Vladislav Delay, and Jan Jelinek
MCL
Boo
Karl O'Connor would get my vote.

I know he is an old stalwart of the scene, but his output remains undiminished both on his own, but also in collaboration with others, Sandwell District, BMB, UST, OVR. He just keeps going and has always been a great influence.

i would chuck Tony Surgeon in the mix here as well. Keep making good stuff, delivering interesting and 'different' than the norm stuff since they first started. I too am from the old guard of Techno guys, but these two have never rested on their laurels, always been quality, and just kept delivering.

As for 'new' over the last 10 years....hmm, not so sure on that one.
Cappy
I second Burial.

I'd also say Boxcutter/Barry Lynn. Even tho he made a bit of a stylistic shift between the 2nd and 3rd Boxcutter albums, his ability to blend styles and sounds in new ways while retaining his own signature sound is unparalleled.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarryLynnMusic
Chain Chomp
papertiger wrote:
Burial.

The first time I heard Burial's music I felt like I was hearing something really "new." Yes, his style is an amalgamation of styles, but it's like he internalized so much of music in the last 20 years and then created something that celebrated it in a completely fresh voice.

Burial is great but he has only been releasing since 2006 so has not been prolific and consistent for 10 years.

Regis, good call. Had him in my OP but took him off as other than Sandwell District was not too sure what he has been upto in the last 10 years.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Didn't Four Tet just admit to being Burial?

My vote would be Jon Hopkins or Tipper, both amazing producers.
Boo
There's some funny articles on the site responsible for that rumour. Don't think it is serious.

Interesting thread anyway, I'm a bit behind the times myself.

Really enjoyed tracks from Vladislav delay, extrawelt, minilogue & Mathew jonson past several years.
Admin
Nein wrote:
Burial is great but he has only been releasing since 2006 so has not been prolific and consistent for 10 years.

being prolific is overrated.

it is your survey, of course, but i stand by burial. he could fade away into obscurity today and the body of work he's left behind would still impress me more for what it is production wise than a lot of artists that release more music at a faster pace.

(arguing about music is like...)
Chain Chomp
Four tet for sure and burial def have to agree .....but ARE They the same ?
Go to top Post Reply