As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack blog: Learning how to loop like Anders Bergdahl (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack blog: Learning how to loop like Anders Bergdahl
Cappy
Re:Octatrack blog: Learning how to loop like Anders Bergdahl 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Fired up the Octatrack for the first time in months. I was away on vacation. The master pickup machine kept losing the loop I recorded. It would play the loop once then.... silence...

Lesson learned tonight:

Before a fresh looping session, make sure the Speed and Depth settings for all three LFOs in your pickup machine track are set to zero!

I also figured out how to increase the volume of the loop being played back so that it's not so dramatically lower in volume than the live instrument - Adjust the VOL setting in the Amp page.

Next, to learn how to properly program a pattern in the sequencer to play back my slices...
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:Octatrack blog: Learning how to loop like Anders Bergdahl 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Perhaps somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to suspect the instruction to hit [MIDI] + [TRACK X] (where X=the track number) to sample from another track does not apply if your Track sample slot is set to the Recorder buffer of the other track, and the other track is a Pickup Machine track.

An accident that I had to today, which led to discovering a panning trick:

As usual, I had Track 2 assigned to a slave Pickup Machine, with preamped viola plugged into Input A. I'd left "INAB" in Recording 2 Setup 1 set to "A B". Also as usual, I had Track 4 assigned to a Flex Machine with the Sample Slot set to Recorder 2 (Track 2's recorder buffer). I heard a stereo image coming out of Track 2, but when Track 4 played the slices from Track 2's recorder, the audio was all coming from the left side! I went back to Track 2, set INAB to A , then overdubbed some more onto Track 2. Then Track 4 started playing slices that were panned to the center - all the slices that were taken from the audio I'd just recorded into Track 2 with the A setting for INAB. Now I was hearing audio that was bouncing between left and center. I doubt I'll use this panning trick today, but if I had something else plugged into Input B, maybe it'll be useful.

Another question that came up during the previous study/practice session was "How do I know if my Flex Machine Track really sampled everything from the recorder buffer, and not just the first 2 seconds?". I found the answer in Tarekith's video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ1kMQKt_rY

The answer:
Enter Audio Editor (eg. double-clicking the button for the Track)
Go to Trim menu
Hold down [FUNCTION]+[Enter/Yes] to listen to the sample.

For today's session, I worked with 32 slices instead of the usual 8.
Cappy
Re:Octatrack blog: Learning how to loop like Anders Bergdahl 10 Years, 7 Months ago
I stumbled across the "Dub Rec Aborted" problem while attempting to overdub on a Slave Pickup Machine. Then I found this old thread:

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=9&id=199067

The Pitch parameter of my Slave Pickup Machine track was slightly off of 0.

Yet another thing to watch out for as I gain experience using this machine as a looper.

I'm starting to get a bit bored though of using the Pickup Machines for looping. I wasn't interested in the "build a song from scratch" style of looping anyway. The Octatrack could be used that way of course, but it would be a waste of the OT's true potential.

After band practice this weekend, I'm going to look into sampling into Flex Machine instead and also learn how to use the Recorder Trig method so that the sequencer will sample my playing in some automated fashion.
Go to top Post Reply