As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox a4 - how create c64 drum kits ? i pay (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: a4 - how create c64 drum kits ? i pay
Cappy
a4 - how create c64 drum kits ? i pay 10 Years, 12 Months ago
can somebody help me to create a drum kit for a4 like this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG9rsksVERw

i could pay via paypal if someone create these sounds in the a4 .

Thanks very much
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Re:a4 - how create c64 drum kits ? i pay 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Not really possible without putting it through effects like bit crushers but then that defeats the point. You'd get results from Machinedrum or Monomachine.
King Koopa
Listen to the Preset A5, that has some wonderfull percussions and kick as starting point. Not similar to a SID, but definately 8Bitish.
Cappy
Totally doable on the A4. Use pulse waves with extreme pulse width settings to make it really nice and nasal, then modulate those pulse widths at the extreme edges. Use the noise source shape to get that really "chiptune" aliased digital noise sound and blend it in, or use it for percussion sounds.
King Koopa
sorry to sound like a dick, but it sounds to me like you guys have no idea how most of those C64 percussion sounds are actually made?

it's pretty much a "wavetable", playing back different waveforms and parameter settings in succession at very fast speeds. this screenshot of the '38911bytes' VST shows it pretty well (similar to how C64 trackers do it):

so, this is pretty much impossible on most any normal analog synth.

BUT...

(bare with me, i haven't been up on the A4 since release)

the A4 has the ability to change patch settings per step. i don't know if it's possible, but if there's any way to use an LFO or other modifier to trigger patch changes *faster* than per step, then it might be possible. i was thinking about this when the A4 came out (probably mentioned it here or elsewhere as well). another thing might be to multiply the tempo of an individual track (is this possible?) to get something like this going.

let me know if this doesn't make sense, i'll try to explain it a bit better.

also - the C64/SID has nothing to do with "bit crushers", "aliasing", or anything of the sort (unless playing back samples on it, which isn't the case here). it's pretty much an analog synth on a chip.
King Koopa
Sure, but he wants to make those type of sounds on a machine without a SID chip so I'm pretty sure that we all answered in a way to get SID type sounds. Obviously they are not going to sounds SIDlike but... It's what the OP asked.
We could have all said "get a SID machine" I guess and left him him wondering why he bought the A4.
King Koopa
uhh, no.

as far as i can see, he asked how to make C64/SID sounds, which are distinctly different than the typical analog/Simmons sounds (or bit reduced, however that applies?) that were suggested. i think you would've been better off telling him "no, you can't make those sounds on the A4" if you can't come up with a way to actually do it.

then again, maybe he'd be happy with those simple analog drum sounds and isn't particular about the SID snares and other sounds that were featured in the video. (??)

but again, i'm saying that this may actually be possible on the A4 itself due to the way it can can switch between patches per step (which is basically what the SID chip is doing, at the rate of 1/96th notes and faster). it'd be simple if Elektron added some sort of "table" sub-page per track to do this. not sure if you can do it currently with LFOs, track tempo multipliers, etc...
King Koopa
Ha, fair one. Just re-read the OP and he didn't actually say anything about SID sounds perse. hehe touche.

*This wasn't the thread I was looking for*
Cappy
hehehe exelent discussion . Thanks everybody for comment . Its very interesting for me hear opinions. "SID sound" is a particular sound , with a particular character of course . Its hard to understand how its possible that a modern machine like a4 can´t create a simple C64 SID snare . Its very curious . Have you think about it ?. Im not talking about make a hypersaw sound , im talking about a "simple" SID- like and im very impressive how some of you guys say NO , another guys say YES ... hehe let me see if i can try it . Im very ignorant in syntesis but i have a modern analog machine ! why don´t try it ? hehehe thanks a lot guys. Will post here my progress with some mp3 files when i have it okey ? thanks a lot , keep this post alive ! sid is still alive !
Chain Chomp
LFO to oscillator waveform at audio rates,envelope to LFO depth, disable velocity to volume and link it to tune, sub osc, ect. Turn on arp, crank speed.

Throw in more modulations to taste.

Noise with S+H for snares.

I'll go there - and say it's better than the c64!
Go to top Post Reply