As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox the OT out of sequencer live fx (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: the OT out of sequencer live fx
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
the OT out of sequencer live fx 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Quite big emotions here guys....dont know if already covered....or if this is just as dumby as my twisted happy upsidedown jumping...

I was searching a way to apply tempo synced Fx to tracks used as dj-deck...
I got T1 as sample player and T2 as Neighbour for fx and stuff.
Same thing on the other side for T5 and T6.

I started from a complaint of mine.....not being able to volume stutter the Neighbour since the VOL control in AMP page doesn't take effect.
So....after days....i came out on the beauty of PlaysFree in Hold and Direct mode.....
If you p-lock via trigless trig VOL on the Static machine playing back the song and you have this track set to PlaysFree-Hold-Direct, then you can manually stutter the song by pressing trig 1 - releasing it will leave the volume normally, only if you leave the trig on the step where the VOL is not p-locked to -64...so....timing needed here!

Anyway, you can play freely FX and parameters in this way without being constrained to stop the sequencer in order to get out and so.stopping the song (aaarrrghhh)......and for a live sort-of-Dj-set it's an amazing thing, especialy because you can combine this with the power of the Crossfader too... =)

yessss!!!
  The topic has been locked.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Re:the OT out of sequencer live fx 11 Years, 1 Month ago
You can also get that same volume stutter effect using p-locks (or square wave LFO modulation) to make a filter flip flop between all the way open and closed...not sure if that would be better for your set up though.
Chain Chomp
make us a video?
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
I'll try to make a video....would be the first time,,,,so im absolutely not sure where to start....but i'll defintely give it a try..

Anyway....the other thing here is that you can dedicate one or two banks just for sequenced-played-free-fx PLUS crossfader...

Now patterns can be just favourite fx sequences....depending on how many Neighbor you use...and also you can change track's sequencer resolution for different speeds..
the "problem" is that you have to dedicate patterns like you would do for scenes...
but, in a dj-decks situation.....like i did just one time in my life (and with the OT =)...
i would have used just one part and one pattern......so this way ...the other patterns will not suffer of solitude..! =)

The problem i have encountered so far is about the impossibility to Reload properly the Part....i mean-----if i leave the fx trig button when the sound is not in its "default" and i reload,,,,,everything stays unchanged.....also VOL @-64........oooops
So far the only workaround i've found is to touch a bit the Vol knob and it goes to that value....but it definetely needs a better way to recover default values.......it was too much nice to be real and without issues,,,,,,!
Another workaround would be to choose ONE2 as trig mode for PlaysFree. So the second time you press the trig it will go to stop at the end of the sequenced track pattern. And choosing last step with everythnig locked at default values, will revert form the fx state to normal one (like a Reload...)
But i love the HOLD mode too much....i prefer to practise more =)
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
ok...i did the video....first time and pretty shitty....hope it will be more understandable than my written words...there is NO voice comment...

here the link...
King Koopa
plays free on neighbors is so cool.. so i tried to start emulating it on the MIDI side with external controllable fx -- has anyone else had problems using DIRECT or 1/16 for triggering free playing MIDI tracks? 2/16 and up is fine for me, but it hangs on the first step for DIRECT, and never stops on 1/16. bug? doesn't seem to have anything to with gear outside of the OT (i.e., with MIDI in disconnected)...

thanks for making the video.. sicijk...
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
glad if this would be useful in some ways....!

hope that someone will share some implementation of this...like: "you cant imagine how cool is if you lock 2 Neighbors with Comb making harmonizer at fingertips plus corssfader stretching the time.." or bullshits like this =)

Oh.....and i don't want to forget that Plays Free is also amazing on RecorderBuffers.
I have one for each part. On Part 1 where it samples Deck A - Part 4 where it samples Deck B and Part 2 -3 it samples the Main....but i started programming this thing only yesterday....! and im already dancing ! =)
Game & Watch
sounds cool!

so ... i was reading the manual about Plays Free ...

"• HOLD will make the track play for as long as [TRIG] key initiating track playback for the chosen track is pressed and held. Playback of the track will stop when the button is released."

so does this mean a "neighbour" track can be set to Plays Free, so it doesn't sound, and then only applies effects to its neighbour when its track trig key is held?
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
Exactly!
the cool thing is that you dont have to worry about the sequencer. You can have running locked trigs at fingertips.

If you looked at the video as soon as I trig T2 (the second trig) a filter starts to cut the sound.
You release it and you dont have to TRACK+STOP it in order to block the fx.
You need just a "safety" trig (I use the very first step, so i can subtly press the PlaysFree track to revert to default) in order to come back form locked parameters. Cos' the Reload doesn't work...or you can us ONE2 trig mode

Now im practising to find good ways for PlaysFree sampling =)

**********EDIT************

Regarding the Part Reload not working...
At this thread
i discussed about this!
Go to top Post Reply